Wednesday, January 25, 2012

Gel Nails

I've always had stubby nails. The poor things have never understood the word grow.
On the rare occasions that I've gotten manicures they've chipped within a couple of days. Between the chips and the breakage, it just wasn't incentive to wear polish or frequent nail salons.
Then I was introduced to gels. I've tried it and I like it.
For those that aren't familiar with it, basically gel is a hard polish that lasts for two to three weeks and doesn't chip. My goal is to stretch the two to three weeks into four. To this end, I get clear polish instead of color. I just can't justify getting my nails done more than once a month. I'm currently at two weeks-four days and counting.
My nails have finally started to grow. Its weird to actually have them clicking against a keyboard.
The verdict is still out in many peoples' mind on how safe gel nails are. Why?
For one thing, gel requires drying under a UV lamp.
There can also be health concerns if salons use cheap gel products that aren't stringently controlled for quality and the manufacturer uses dangerous chemicals.
Or if the salon mixes gels and acrylics.
Some salons pass off fake gel manicures as the real thing. If you've had a gel manicure it will be clear and shiny not cloudy.
Your skin should never be cut or abraded during the process so chemicals can't seep into it.
The bottom line: If you are thinking of trying gel go to a reputable salon.
Have you gotten gel nails? If so has the experience been a positive or negative one? If not, would you get them?

4 comments:

Unknown said...

I tried false nails once. They were pukeable and they annoyed the crap out of me. I ripped them off after a day. I prefer short nails.

Sandra Cox said...

I agree. I've never gone the false nail route. That's why I was intrigued with this. Its just a polish that allows your nails to grow.

Julia Rachel Barrett said...

I wish I had nails. Bite them.

Sandra Cox said...

I've never bit mine, just couldn't grow them.