Monday, December 2, 2013

Thanksgiving's Over

Thanksgiving is over. Sounds like Alex Cavanaugh had a good one. What about you? Did you have a great Thanksgiving?
Shh(finger to lip), since no one was home to cook for us, we hooked up with my bro and SIL and went out to dinner.  I mention the cook-for-us thing because some of our family LOVE to cook. They're quite passionate about it. Unfortunately, I'm not one of them.  Apparently, a lot of other people felt the same way, since the restaurant had a pretty good crowd. It was nice. The food and company were great.
Afterwards--I hang my head in shame--we grocery shopped at Walmart. Can you believe it?
It was fine as long as we stayed on the grocery side but when we wandered over into the other section for pet food--YIKES. Everyone was lined up, waiting for arm bands. Why, I have no idea. It had something to do with the black Friday specials that were starting Thursday.  Of course, everyone was waiting in front of the dog food and thought we were trying to cut in line when we threaded through trying to get to the canned food. So we grabbed our pet food and got out as quick as we could.
Then we did something really brilliant. We went to Belk's Black Friday sale that started at 8 p.m. (For those of you not from the south, Belk's is a southern department store or perhaps I should say The Southern Department Store. I'm a Belkie girl.) 
I normally avoid the Black Friday hysteria like the plague, but I figured, small town, eight o'clock, how bad could it be? Ha ha. Famous last words.  There were lines waiting to get in. I took one look and decided we might as well go home, but since I'd dragged the HH along he had other ideas, so we fought the crowds. The big draw was $19.99 boots. The doors opened and women ran for them. It was ghastly.  I left the way I came empty-handed. 
On the plus side of my ledger, I have my Christmas shopping done or close enough to call it done.
What about you, did you fight the crowds or just sit back and enjoy the holiday glow? Got your shopping done?

13 comments:

CJ Kennedy said...

I thought of going out for Thanksgiving, but decided to stay home and cooked. No fuss, just the four of us. Black Friday? No, thank you. My shopping will be done with the business end of a mouse.

Sandra Cox said...

Hey CJ, Except for my foray out Thursday evening, almost all my gifts have been ordered on line too. Easy smeazy. Glad you had a good Thanksgiving.

Pat Hatt said...

Thanksgiving was over here a long time ago and shopping is done too at my show

DEZMOND said...

I find the idea of the black friday very entertaining since we have it not here :) And I didn't know people eat out at Thanksgiving, that is delightful too! :)

Jennifer Shirk said...

I had a nice Thanksgiving at my brother's. Then decided to cook my own turkey on Sunday. (if that tells you anything) LOL

I did NOT go out on Friday but got a ton of shopping online done.

Julia Barrett said...

Oh wow. Brave woman. We stayed home. However my Christmas shopping is all done-- we are not exchanging many gifts this year. Too many other expenses. I did, however, make 2 huge batches of lemon curd as Christmas gifts. Man I'm sick of lemon curd!

Sandra Cox said...

Hey Pat, Good job on getting your shopping done.

Sandra Cox said...

Hey Dez, Entertaining is certainly one word for Black Friday. grin.

Sandra Cox said...

Hi Jennifer, Online is sooo much easier, isn't it?

Sandra Cox said...

Lemon curds sound like a wonderful Christmas gift, friend Julia.

Sandra Cox said...

Beth and Bookaholic, Thanks so much for the follow.

Lynda R Young as Elle Cardy said...

I've never been game to go for that kind of big sales days. The crowds are a little too daunting for me ;)

Sandra Cox said...

Lynda, you're a smart woman:)