Thursday, May 21, 2015

Thursday's Grammar Breakdown

 

Passed and Past

Ever get these two confused? 
Passed means proceeded or moved forward; completing a movement.
Example: The month passed quickly.
Past is no longer in the present, a previous time.
Example: He got the job based on his past writing experience.
It also means going beyond a certain point.
Example: I swallowed past the lump in my throat.
Passed is always a verb. Past is never a verb.

Example: No pedestrians have passed this way in the past month.

18 comments:

  1. can I also say "my blog has passed 4 million readers" or would that mean they we went by them literally? :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The fact that you have passed the 4 million reader milestone is amazing:)

      Delete
  2. I've made this mistake between the two when I'm typing fast.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Easy to do when you are just trying to catch those thoughts on paper. I come up with some doozies.

      Delete
  3. You passed the grammar test in the past.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. And you passed with flying colors and get an A+:)

      Delete
  4. I'm not sure I move past it while I was passed the other day.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Good one - my critique partner just caught me when I did this - I know the difference, but it's just a typing too fast thing. :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi Kimberly, I hear. Snags all of us.
    That's for commenting and the follow. Heading over to your blog:)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Love the last sentence..I guess I can say I passed a kidney stone in my past...Yippee

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thank you. We are on the same grammar team.

    Love,
    Janie

    ReplyDelete