Friday, September 9, 2016

Why Every Writer Needs A Pet



Guess who’s visiting with us today? Our very own Stephanie Faris!  And she’s going to chat with us about one of our favorite  subjects: pets. 

Why Every Writer Needs a Pet
by Stephanie Faris
When you visit Sandra’s blog, chances are you’re going to see an animal somewhere. More than likely it will be a cat. Her Monday and Friday posts are designed to bring a smile to your face and a pet is almost always the best way to do that.
I love all animals, but since I was in my early 20s, I’ve always had a dog for a pet. That means since the day I wrote my first book, a dog was nearby. I can’t say that having a dog directly impacted my creativity, but there are several reasons I believe every writer needs a pet, whether it’s a dog, cat, fish, pot-bellied pig, turtle, or rattlesnake.
Pets Make You Happier
Studies have shown that pet owners are happier and healthier than those without a pet in the house. When you have a pet, you feel like you’re coming home to a friend. Whether you live alone or in a house full of people, the greeting you get from a dog (and some cats) will likely be much more enthusiastic than the greeting you get from your loved ones.
Pet at Feet Means Butt in Chair
I can’t tell you how many times I need to go get something to drink or take a bathroom break, but I don’t because my dog is snuggled against my feet. Getting up means disrupting cuddle time. So I stay in place and keep writing. That’s always a good thing.
Pets Are Good Company
Writing can be lonely, especially if you write when no one’s home. A pet provides great company without interrupting you constantly to ask questions. You’ll just need to make sure they have food and water and a way to use the bathroom multiple times a day.
Pets Provide Inspiration
When you truly bond with a pet, the love you feel is very real. Like all of your other experiences throughout life, this helps you grow as a writer. Plus, you may decide to work a pet into your own story, which will add a little humor or even bring tears to your readers’ eyes.
Pets aren’t for everyone, but if you’ve been on the fence about getting one, consider these benefits. You don’t have to be a writer for a furry friend to help make you feel healthier, happier, and less lonely.
Now a little bit about Piper Morgan

Blurb:
When Piper Morgan has to move to a new town, she is sad to leave behind her friends, but excited for a new adventure. She is determined to have fun, be brave and find new friends.
In Piper Morgan Joins the Circus, Piper learns her mom’s new job will be with the Big Top Circus. She can’t wait to learn all about life under the big top, see all the cool animals, and meet the Little Explorers, the other kids who travel with the show. She’s even more excited to learn that she gets to be a part of the Little Explorers and help them end each show with a routine to get the audience on their feet and dancing along!
In Piper Morgan in Charge, Piper’s mom takes a job in the local elementary school principal’s office. Piper is excited for a new school and new friends—and is thrilled when she is made an “office helper.” But there is one girl who seems determined to prove she is a better helper—and she just so happens to be the principal’s daughter. Can Piper figure out how to handle being the new girl in town once more?

Stephanie


Bio:

Stephanie Faris knew she wanted to be an author from a very young age. In fact, her mother often told her to stop reading so much and go outside and play with the other kids. After graduating from Middle Tennessee State University with a Bachelor of Science in broadcast journalism, she somehow found herself working in information technology. But she never stopped writing.

Stephanie is the Simon & Schuster author of 30 Days of No Gossip and 25 Roses. When she isn’t crafting fiction, she writes for a variety of online websites on the topics of business, technology, and her favorite subject of all—fashion. She lives in Nashville with her husband, a sales executive. 

Links:

56 comments:

  1. Every person needs a pet. Unjudgemental love. Ok, not very judgemental - so long as the food, the pats and the walks are up to standard.
    Congratulations Stephanie. I hope sales are going gang-busters.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. LOL, absolutely. My dog goes out every morning and when she comes in, she comes to stare at me until I give her a rawhide chew stick. As long as I give her a few of those, spread throughout the day, she's happy.

      Delete
    2. That was my first thought too!: "Every person needs a pet." They are the lights of our lives!

      Delete
  2. My cats are great company while writing. They also greet me at the door, which is nice, because my kids are too old to be that excited for me to be home anymore. :p

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's true--kids grow out of that but pets never do.

      Delete
  3. Wonderful article, pets are indeed a great enrichment for our lives.
    Have a great weekend, hugs, Valerie

    ReplyDelete
  4. I would dearly love a pet Sandra, but where I live no pets allowed. Wonderful post and a joy to read.
    Yvonne.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. :-( I thought pets were allowed just about everywhere these days. I'm even surprised how many hotels are pet-friendly now.

      Delete
  5. haha yep, so many times the cat is lying on me and I have to pee, but I hold it in until it's sink or swim lol they sure add a bunch to life

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My dog just settled in to sleep on the sofa near me and I know if I get up, she'll move from that spot. She isn't even on me and I'm not moving because of her!

      Delete
  6. Pets won't keep asking if you've had anything published yet, either!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Absolutely. Or how much money you've made off your books.

      Delete
  7. Rocko is good company although she tends to fur up the keyboard. She's inspiring when she bats at the fish through the glass but not so much when she's hacking up a furball in my office.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Fortunately I missed the rattlesnake.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Pets are the best. They have a unique way of giving encouragement just when you need it (without even saying a word). :) Great post, Stephanie.

    Thoughts in Progress
    and MC Book Tours

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. So true! Although mine is snoring on her side right now...

      Delete
  10. Thank you SO much for hosting me today, Sandra! I had a fun time writing this--it's a topic close to my heart.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My pleasure. It's always fun to have you, Steph.
      And what a perfect topic!

      Delete
  11. This is so true! I can't tell you how many times my dog falls asleep directly behind my desk chair and I can't get up. I get a lot of writing in on those days. ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Almost as soon as I sit down to write, my dog camps out nearby. It's like she knows I need her as an excuse to stay put!

      Delete
  12. I would love to have a cat, but I am very allergic. I miss having a dog around, but not willing to go through training another one.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That is a LOT of work! If you can get through those first few months, though, it's worth it.

      Delete
  13. I gaze out at all my critters and it is like watching a movie.Not big on indoor pets, but have had lots through the years

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've only had indoor pets. And I tend to spoil them!

      Delete
  14. There are very few years of my life I did not have an animal living with me. They do give a lot of love and relaxation. I chihuahua mix and he is a ham. I've never had a dog with so much personality and opinion.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I didn't have a pet growing up...I got my first dog when I was in my early 20s. He died when I was in my early 30s. I didn't have a pet for several years, then got the pet I have now. I'm thinking of that line from that Stephen King novel: "A man's life is six dogs long!" That was a pretty deep statement!

      Delete
  15. Our poodle has been with us for awhile now. She just got a hair cut the other day, and my 4 yo was under the impression that she would come back a different dog, so we needed to rename her, lol!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's hilarious!!! My dog does look quite different when she gets her summer cut.

      Delete
  16. I couldn't agree with you more, Stephanie. One more reason: Dogs force you to take a break because they rarely take no for an answer when it comes to walks. Well, at least mine doesn't!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That is absolutely true. It's like a sauna out there, though, so I usually walk inside in the air conditioning. When it gets cooler, I definitely want to start taking her for walks.

      Delete
  17. I'd be a crazy cat lady with like 1000 cats if I had the money and the space.... I'm already trying to talk myself out of getting a third cat (he's a foster kitty and desperately needs a home). 3 isn't too many though, right...? xD

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Not for cats! Most cat owners have more than one, as I learned while writing the fun facts in my third Piper Morgan book.

      Delete
  18. Great post, Stephanie. Wishing you continued success! Another great thing about pets, especially dogs, they know when you need some extra loving, know when you're ill and can sense that emotion. They can certainly motivate and keep life joyous. Have a lovely weekend. Thank you for hosting Sandra.

    ReplyDelete
  19. I couldn't live without my pets!! Great post!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Me, either! It's only one pet, but she brings life happiness.

      Delete
  20. I so agree with you about pets and just don't understand people when they say they don't like animals. Actually when they say that, I think there is something a bit cold about them then. They give love, let you know when they need some love and can even scold you if you have been away too long. Amazing how long we can hold our bladders when we have a pet on our lap or on our feet. Congrats on making the rounds and being on Sandra's blog

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I do feel bad for those who don't like pets. They miss out on so much happiness!

      Delete
  21. high paws two ewe Stephanie.....itz veree nice two meet ewe N we gotta say ewe R 10000000 purrcent rite...all sew.... yur bookz sound total lee kewl; we will send sum palz we noe yur way ta chex out Piper Morgan !!!

    heerz two a spotted climbing perch kinda week oh end guys !! ♥♥♥

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You'll love Book #3--Piper Morgan to the Rescue. Tons of dogs and cats in that one!

      Delete
  22. What a great topic in relation to writing, Stephanie!
    Pets and animals in general; including wildlife, have always been such an integral part of my life that it's no wonder they show up in stories I write ;-) It's the least I can do in return for the steadfast support and companionship.
    Wishing you and Sandra a relaxing weekend!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Absolutely! I want to work pets into more of my books.

      Delete
  23. Stephanie -- you've really done an amazing job with this blog tour. And I agree -- having dogs has made me a much happier writer.

    Yvonne Ventresca.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hope everyone's enjoyed it! It was a TON of fun!!! And, most importantly, I hope I was able to introduce people to all of the great bloggers I read every day.

      Delete
  24. I'm not a writer (except on my blog), but my two cats are my rock. If I'm sad, they know it and try to comfort me. If I'm happy they want to be by my side. They keep me grounded and make me happy. They don't judge me, call me bad names, or talk back to me. If they are hungry, they let me know, because I'm horrible with schedules.

    Thanks for sharing this wonderful essay, Stephanie. It was well written and thought provoking. It just reinforces my belief that everyone needs a pet, but one that is neutered unless it's a show animal.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you!!! Pets are better than humans in that sense, aren't they? When you're having a day and humans are getting you down, coming home to find your pet happy to see you makes all the difference.

      Delete
  25. Pets make the world go round!

    -Kati

    ReplyDelete
  26. I love my pets and have had a pet or two (or more) in my life since I was in my early twenties. :) Best of luck to Stephanie!
    ~Jess

    ReplyDelete
  27. My wife and I were just talking about pets again today. I grew up in a house FULL of animals and, because of finances and a number of other factors, we haven't had any pets recently. So now that we're getting settled, we're trying to figure out what to get.

    I'm thinking a Snek or a Parrot. 8D

    ReplyDelete
  28. Actually, I always thought a parrot would be a fun companion.

    ReplyDelete
  29. I love this post! Truly made me smile!

    ReplyDelete