Wednesday, February 5, 2020

IWSG Wednesday


The first Wednesday of every month is officially IWSG day. Members post about their doubts and fears, discuss struggles and triumphs, and offer words of encouragement to others who are struggling.

Thanks, as always, to Alex Cavanaugh, founder and Ninja Captain extraordinaire and our awesome co-hosts.

The IWSG monthly question can be found under the IWSG Sign-up tab on the Insecure Writer's Support Group Blog.

This month's reviews:

MOMENTS WE LOVE by Balroop Singh

Poignant is the best word I can use to describe this author’s writing. She writes evocatively about the feelings locked up inside of us. Some we set free. Some we don’t. Her verses on nature are delicate and precise enough to feel the warmth of the sun or a breeze teasing your face.  If you enjoy poetry or just need to unwind, I highly recommend this author and her writing.
Amazon






DEADLY VINTAGE by Elizabeth Varadan

Fun and Fascinating

The author took a fascinating subject—wine forgery—and turned it into a fun, and just as fascinating, mystery.  Carla Bass, an interior decorator, finds herself smack dab in the middle of a murder investigation when on an outing to a local wine shop in lovely Braga, Portugal she discovers a body. In spite of strident protests from the local police and her husband, Carla’s sleuthing genes kick in. Not only does Carla have a nose for murder, she also has a weakness for shoes. A combination that makes for a delightful protagonist.

If you enjoy a light-hearted, well-written cozy with beautiful detail, I recommend you try this book.
Amazon


BRIGHTNESS by Rob Horner

This book is outside my normal genres, but I’m so glad I read it. It was extremely well-written and held my interest from start to finish. The storyline is about parents who learn their children are special, and are on the front line of the fight against evil, and what they as parents must do to keep them safe. The father while trying to protect his oldest daughter makes one mistake after another before he discovers how to fight the forces working against them.

Not only will parents be able to relate to this work, but those that love thrillers will no doubt be as hooked as I was.

Best of all… I discovered a new North Carolina author.
Amazon
AND...




40 comments:

Alex J. Cavanaugh said...

Cool you found an author you like in your home state.

Rachna Chhabria said...

I agree that first drafts just have to be written :)

L. Diane Wolfe said...

I like the concept of Deadly Vintage. I also like wine!

Sandra Cox said...

It's an excellent read. I too like wine:) Heh.

Bleubeard and Elizabeth said...

I am SO glad you reviewed Elizabeth's new cozy. I really want to read this one set in Braga, where Elizabeth herself often stays. I like your take on first drafts, too!!!

Valerie-Jael said...

Those new books sound great, I especially like the sound of 'Brightness'. Thanks for sharing. Hugs, Valerie

Chrys Fey said...

Definitely agree that first drafts don't need to be perfect. Neither do second drafts. ;)

cleemckenzie said...

It looks as if you've been one busy reader! Thanks for taking the time to review for us.

Astrid said...

Those books sound good, particularly the one about parents fighting for their children. I’m glad you found a book that’s outside of your comfort zone that you enjoyed anyway.

Balroop Singh said...

Thanks for sharing the review of my poetry book Sandra. I am delighted to hear that you could catch the nuances shared through the verse. Love and hugs.

Sandra Cox said...

There's also a sci-fi writer in NC I'm pretty impressed with. Wink. Wink.

Sandra Cox said...

Sometimes it's like slogging through mud, isn't it, Rachna?

Jeanie said...

Interior design and wine. I could get into that!

Sandra Cox said...

I highly recommend it. I loved it and think you would too.
Hope you're feeling okay today.

Elephant's Child said...

More books to ignite my booky lust?
Thank you.
And yes, if there is nothing written there is nothing to edit, to improve, to publish.

Birgit said...

The authors must be happy to be showcased on your blog and they sound quite good. I love that badge--how true

Sonya said...

Deadly Vintage looks fun! "Not only does Carla have a nose for murder, she also has a weakness for shoes" cracked me up. 😁

Pat Hatt said...

Sounds like you found three great ones indeed. Just get it written for sure.

Christine said...

Just do it, well said!

Susan Kane said...

The words are there, maybe not great, but there.

Sandra Cox said...

It was well written and held my attention. If you read it, let me know what you think.

Sandra Cox said...

And sometimes not the third. Heh.

Sandra Cox said...

Entirely my pleasure, Lee. So glad you stopped by.

Sandra Cox said...

It is a good one.
It comes down to how well written the book is, regardless of genre doesn't it, Astrid?

Sandra Cox said...

I love your writing, Balroop. Your verses flow like a brook sparkling in the sun.

Sandra Cox said...

Indeed!:)

Hilary Melton-Butcher said...

Hi Sandra - excellent about the new local author ... great you'll be able to follow their path with their stories and publications. Thanks for the recommendations ... and yes ... just do it - get it written. Cheers and hope all well on the family front - Hilary

Sandra Cox said...

Heh:) It's in the job description:)

Sandra Cox said...

They are good.
Glad you like the badge.
Hope you are feeling healthy.

Sandra Cox said...

Heh. It is a fun read, Sonya:)

Sandra Cox said...

Indeed:)

Elizabeth Varadan, Author said...

Thanks for the nice review, Sandra. I appreciate it. The other two books sound great, too. Have a great day. I like the reminder about first drafts, too! I'm in the middle of one and this motivates me to get busy on it and stop procrastinating. :-)

Sandra said...

Thumbs up:)

Lee said...

I've a bit of reading to catch up on by the looks of things! :)

Sandra Cox said...

Yes, it was the first book I've read by Rob but it won't be the last.
The family is good. Thank you.
Cheers,

Sandra Cox said...

Good luck with crossing the finish line on your new book.
I enjoyed Deadly Vintage immensely.

Sandra Cox said...

In between your own writing:)

Adrienne Reiter said...

The whole, "One sentence starts an avalanche." speaks to me here. Great post. Happy IWSG!

Magic Love Crow said...

All of these books sound wonderful!
I love that quote at the end! Big Hugs!

Lowcarb team member said...

:)

All the best Jan