Wednesday, December 7, 2016

IWSG Wednesday



The first Wednesday of every month is officially Insecure Writer’s Support Group day. Members post about their  doubts and fears, discuss struggles and triumphs, and offer words of encouragement to others who are struggling. 
Group Question:
In terms of your writing career, where do you see yourself five years from now and what's your plan to get there?
This is definitely a thought provoking question.  It would be easier to answer where I'd like to see myself in five years.  I'm sure, like most of my brother and sister writers, my answer would be on the New York Times Bestseller List, with a movie or two under my belt.  In the harsh, cold light of day, the chances are about the same as winning the lottery.  But since I write fantasy, I don't deal with harsh cold reality unless absolutely necessary.  
As far as the five-year plan.  My five years has come and gone. In that time, e books  have exploded on the scene and changed the dynamics of writing and publishing. Both e and print are up against millions of other books. And to repeat my mantra, given the odds any sale is a good sale. Though nothing to cause the royals in the book world to break into a sweat, or even mid-listers, my sales this year were much better than last year. And my goal is that next year will be better than this year.  Baby steps:)
My current issue: My rights have reverted from a former publisher but my books are still up at most retailers (BN has been extremely helpful and the E books are down there)  even after contacting both publisher and retailers.  And we won't even mention royalties or lack thereof. Is anyone else out there having this problem? 

What about you?  What's your five-year plan?  And for the blogger buds out there that don't write but create in other ways, feel free to jump in with YOUR five year plans.
~*~
Looking for new blogs to follow? Try Site Hounds.
Jerry has put a lot of time and effort into letting us know what blogs are out there.  Just go to the category that interests you and click.   If you'd like to add your site to his list, just shoot him an email.



42 comments:

Elephant's Child said...

Five year plan? Queue hysterical laughter. Some weeks a five day plan is beyond me.
Good luck with yours. And keep writing. Please.

Valerie-Jael said...

I hope the next 5 years will bring you all you wish for. I don't plan much at all these days, just do what I want or can! Hugs, Valerie

nashvillecats2 said...

Great post Sandra hope your writing is where you want it to be in 5 yrs.
Yvonne.

Alex J. Cavanaugh said...

My five years has come and gone as well.
Awesome of you to mention Jerry's site.
Sorry you're having that issue with the book and publisher.

Out on the prairie said...

I have a hard time observing what my future holds, I work more on daily thanks

Nicola said...

Great post, Sandra. I hope your publishing issue gets sorted real soon. Congratulations on everything you've achieved so far. Have a lovely December.

Pat Garcia said...

I sincerely hope you get the issue about your books settled with satisfaction for you. And I do hope you land on the New York Times Bestseller List. (I seriously mean this about the bestseller list. Why not land there?)
Shalom aleichem,
Pat G

Bleubeard and Elizabeth said...

As a blogger only, my five year plan is to make my blog interesting enough to draw new readers in. Now that I have a fantastic camera, I can't use the excuse that my camera sucks. This one doesn't, but the last one did.

Thanks for the Site Hounds link. I went, I perused, I saw a few sites I may visit when the various pressures of the season are over.

Pat Hatt said...

Ugg to such issues, makes me glad for self publishing that way. 5 years for me is to keep on keeping on, easy peasy.

Tara Tyler said...

The writing industry has changed so much! you don't just write anymore you are your own marketer and you have to be fluent in social media and other formats. it's insane how extrovert we have to become!

thanks for stopping by my Cradle Rock vampire post at Heathers place

Sandra Cox said...

We can all relate with that one, EC:)
Thanks for the encouraging words:)

donna baker said...

Sandra, you are an inspiration. Keep up the dogged pursuit as that is the only way to success. Of course, you already did better than last year, so you're on your way. I know nothing of the ebook world, but can imagine it takes up much time. When I was writing, every agent and publisher wanted a different cover letter, form, format etc. Who has time to write doing all that? As for a five year plan, I gave that up long ago. I assume you are much younger than me.

Sandra Cox said...

I love your approach. I don't push myself anymore.
Hugs back,

Chrys Fey said...

Inspiring post. Any sale is a good sale. I need to tack that up where I can see it. :)

Computer Tutor said...

What a nightmare that must be, to have a publish close down. I hadn't imagined you'd have to contact all the retailers. Yikes!

Sandra Cox said...

Thanks, Yvonne! I enjoyed your 5 yr plan poem:)

Sandra Cox said...

And you've done a wonderful job in that time, Alex. Kudos. Thank you for introducing Jerry on your site.

Sandra Cox said...

Love it. It sounds like every day is a good day.

Sandra Cox said...

Thank you, Nicola and back at ya:)

Sandra Cox said...

Thank you, Pat. Good wishes indeed. I appreciate it.

Sandra Cox said...

We all enjoy your blog, Elizabeth. It's a joy.
And isn't that the truth about getting through the season, lovely though it is:)

Sandra Cox said...

I hear you on self-publishing, Pat. I believe that's where my future lies. And I'm with you on the keep on keeping on:)

Sandra Cox said...

Isn't that the truth. I'd love to have a publicist:)
Cradle Rock sounds like all sorts of fun:)

Cherie Reich said...

With publishing, it's hard to make and stick with a five-year plan as the landscape keeps changing. Good luck with your books still on retailers. You could send a DMCA to them to tell them that they are selling your book without your permission. They're required to take it down. Sometimes, unfortunately, it takes time.

Sandra Cox said...

Hi Donna,
Oh yeah, contacting agents and publishers. Good times. Choke choke. Hack hack.
On the age thing, I'm guessing we're from the same era:)

Sandra Cox said...

Thanks, Chrys. And I need to keep reminding myself of it:)

Kati said...

Five year plan, that is quite something!

-Kati

Sandra Cox said...

Hi Jacqui,
You shouldn't have to. That is the responsibility of the publishers. But my books are still up at most sites and I have had no response to my emails to the publisher except form responses. It'll get squared away eventually.

Sandra Cox said...

Thank you, Cherie! That is extremely helpful!

Sandra Cox said...

It's kind of like a New Year's Resolution:)

L. Diane Wolfe said...

I'm sorry you are having issues with that book and publisher. I don't intend to leave my authors high and dry like that.

DMS said...

I am with you- every sale is a sale and matters. So sorry to hear about the publisher/book issues. Glad you sorted things out with B and N. Hope the rest gets sorted quickly. :)
~Jess

Margaret D said...

Good luck with it all Sandra.

Birgit said...

I think you will be doing great things! I hope to organize boxes and boxes of pictures, investigate my dad's family history and maybe....maybe start writing my mom's story since I know she will not last 5 years.

Sandra Cox said...

I know you wouldn't.
You are an excellent publisher with a lot of integrity.

Sandra Cox said...

Thank you, Jess. I'm sure everything will get sorted out. Like you, I hope it's quickly:)

Sandra Cox said...

Thank you, M-w. Appreciate that.

Sandra Cox said...

Thanks so much for the positive reinforcement, Birgit.
Organizing is always on my list, but somehow falls off the grid. Good luck with that:)
It would be wonderful if you wrote your mom's story.
Hugs

Olga Godim said...

Like yours, my contract with my publisher will expire in the beginning of 2017. They promised to give me back the rights, but I'm dreading the same problem. I've heard too many complains about it.

Sandra Cox said...

Hmm, I wonder if we have the same publisher, Olga.

Magic Love Crow said...

Keep writing Sandra!!! I hope everything turns out right for you, with the publisher!! Big Hugs!
(I am with you, I'm grateful for sales and as long as that keeps going, I'm happy knowing my art is being cherished!)

Sandra Cox said...

Well said.