Wednesday, August 5, 2020

IWSG Wednesday



The first Wednesday of every month is officially IWSG day. Members post about their doubts and fears, discuss struggles and triumphs, and offer words of encouragement to others who are struggling.

Thanks, as always, to Alex Cavanaugh, founder and Ninja Captain extraordinaire and our awesome co-hosts.

The IWSG monthly question can be found under the IWSG Sign-up tab on the

August question: Have you ever written a piece that became a form, or even a genre, you hadn’t planned on writing in? Or do you choose a form/genre in advance?

 Good question. These days I keep my writing in the Western genre. Since I also write paranormal I sometimes have to get creative. Basically,  I wiggle my ideas into my  settings.

AND…

July/August reviews in no particular order.


AGAINST ALL ODDS: Book3 of the Crossroads Trilogy by Jacqui Murray

“Riveting.”

The saga continues. With the help of her co-leaders and wolves, Xhosa leads her people through lands that harbor cannibals, are riddled with wild animals, fire and ice. Through famine and other perils, they journey to their new home. 

This figure from our distant past has learned to fight and hunt as an equal with the men of her time, is strong, and leads with courage, strength and compassion.   

Like the first two stories, I’ve enjoyed this book immensely. When it comes to prehistory, you can’t beat a Jacqui Murray novel. 

Order here.


I WOULDN’T BE SURPRISED, a short by D. L. Finn

"Words Matter."

This story is particularly chilling when words uttered without thought take on a Twilight Zone effect.

Evildwels—evil beings that battle angels—have become synonymous with D. L. Finn. If you haven’t tried this author yet, a short story is a great way to be introduced to a new writer.

 Both the read and the author are highly recommended.

Order here.


EMERGING FROM SHADOWS by Balroop Singh

These poems truly show us an emergence from shadows, traversing from gut-wrenching lows and uncertainty into the sunlight of joy and self-reliance. Each page is a journey in discovery. The verse is beautifully written, leaving the reader both at peace and inspired. 

Order here.


NEITHER SEEN NOR HEARD by Alexander Pain

I am not a zombie fan.  But I am an Alexander Pain fan. Even though he writes on a subject that I'm lukewarm on at best I really enjoy his stories. His characters are so well-developed I'm  drawn in from the first page and held to the last. In this short an eighty-year old must keep his great-grands safe from zombies. One of the things I enjoyed the most in this short: in one scene, his grandsons use skateboards to outrace the zombies.  I recommend this read for zombie fans and anyone that just wants to lose themselves in a great short story.

Order here.

Trads:

THE WINEMAKER’S WIFE by Kristin Harmel

An amazingly crafted novel that blends the past with the present and held my interest.  Here’s the first sentence: “The road snaked over the lush vineyards of Champagne as Ines Chauveau sped southwest out of Reims, clouds of dust whipping ferociously through her chestnut hair.”

SKYWARD and STARSIGHT by Brandon Sanderson

My favorite genre, if it’s well crafted, is YA paranormal, fantasy or sci fi. These two stories fit the bill.

Spensa thinks she’s the only person on earth with special powers till she meets the new boy, only to discover he’s from another world. 

These books kept me reading much later into the night than I had planned😉

 AND…

Good bud and author Sherry Morris is dipping her toes into a new endeavor.  She’s creating memes and trailers for authors.  She does a beautiful job and is only charging five dollars for memes and fifteen for trailers. You can get in touch with her at sherrymorris.blogspot.com


AND...


Chrys Fey has a new self-help out for writers dealing with stress, writers block and burn out. 

Order here:



51 comments:

Valerie-Jael said...

Sounds like a lot of good reads again. People who write books make the world a better place! Hugs, Valerie

Elephant's Child said...

Love your support for other writers. You are ALL my heroes.

Bleubeard and Elizabeth said...

You are a formidable force, Sandra. You give a voice to writers just getting started as well as established writers. You make me happy to "know" you.

Hilary Melton-Butcher said...

Hi Sandra - I've got Jacqui's book to read soon ... but so many other recommendations here ... it's great writing friends are around writing short stories, poems or novels for us to read and enjoy. Stay safe - Hilary

nashvillecats2 said...

Many good books there Sandra especially that poetry book....must take a look.
Enjoy your day and keep well.
Yvonne.

Natalie Aguirre said...

I need to read something by Brandon Sanderson and the one you read sounds great. It's always great to try something new in our reading and writing.

Alex J. Cavanaugh said...

Just keep on writing your Westerns.
Thanks for the list at the end!

Jamie Ghione said...

Like the list at the end. Many of these I would not have thought to use in place of "seems/looks like."

Christine said...

Thanks for sharing these great books that’s a good meme.

L. Diane Wolfe said...

Thank you for sharing Chrys' book.

Birgit said...

Look at you go with reading all these books even the zombie one. I love the other words one can use and I wish I could print this out since I am terrible in finding words I don’t use much

Jeanie said...

I especially love the 50 ways thing. I'm saving that one!

Balroop Singh said...

That is a fabulous list! Thank you Sandra, for reviewing Emerging from Shadows, much appreciated. I've read Jacqui's and Denise's new releases and loved them.

Sandra Cox said...

So do those that create art:)
Hugs received and returned.

cleemckenzie said...

I haven't read a lot of the books you've mentioned, but I have read Jacqui's books and really enjoyed the stories. Looking forward to this next one. Glad to be participating in Chry's tour of her book this month!

Sandra Cox said...

I found that interesting too, Jeanie. There were words I wouldn't have thought of as substitutes.

Sandra Cox said...

My pleasure, Christine. They are great books and I love Sherry's memes and trailers.

Sandra Cox said...

As you are ours:)

Sandra Cox said...

My pleasure, Di:)

Chrys Fey said...

So many great releases. Thank you so much for mentioning my book!

Sandra Cox said...

And you always warm my heart and make me smile:)

Sandra Cox said...

You're gonna love it:)
Agreed. It's great having literary friends isn't it?
Take special care.

Computer Tutor said...

What a wonderful overview. Thank you! I like your pithiness.

Diane Burton said...

You are a great supporter of your fellow authors.

Sandra Cox said...

Will do:)
You bet. Some thought went into that list didn't it, Alex?

Sandra Cox said...

Balroop, and D. L. Finn, both do a lovely job with verse. As do you:)

Sandra Cox said...

I hear ya. I'm always mind searching for a better word.

Sandra Cox said...

I think you'd enjoy him, Natalie. I sure did. He's got the third in the series coming out this fall I believe. I'm anxious to read it.

Sandra Cox said...

Right there with ya, Jamie:) That list has had some time and effort put into it.

Sandra Cox said...

Entirely my pleasure.
All three of you did an amazing job with your craft.

Sandra Cox said...

Jacqui's stories are amazing aren't they?
Good on you for participating in Chrys's tour.

Sandra Cox said...

Pithiness. I like it:)

Sandra Cox said...

Entirely my pleasure, Chrys.

Sandra Cox said...

Why thank you, Diane. That's very kind of you to say.

Computer Tutor said...

Thank you, Lee. We share a common theme of how people survive when faced with huge challenges. See you soon!

Computer Tutor said...

I'm in good company, aren't I?

Computer Tutor said...

Oh yeah. I have yet to read one of Sandra's I don't like.

Computer Tutor said...

It is an excellent list. I love being included.

Sandra Cox said...

:)

Sandra Cox said...

You are indeed. Plus you help make it good company;)

Sandra Cox said...

There ya go, making me smile.

D.L. Finn said...

Thanks Balroop :) Yours and Jacqui on on my TRB list.

D.L. Finn said...

Thanks, Sandra, I'm in amazing company. I found more books to add to my TBR list too! Xo

Sandra Cox said...

You both are amazing:)
Denise, that TBR list never shrinks does it:)

Lowcarb team member said...

You really are a great supporter of your fellow authors.
Well done.

All the best Jan

Sandra Cox said...

That's kind of you to say, Jan. The buds have returned it ten fold.

Pat Hatt said...

Always good to wiggle in what you want lol

Sandra Cox said...

Heh. Heh. You bet.

Beth Camp said...

Wow! An amazing list of books to add to my TBR pile! Thank you. I also liked your humorous comment that you "wiggle your ideas into your settings," not always an easy process for me. May you have a very good writing month ahead.

Computer Tutor said...

And we appreciate it!

Computer Tutor said...

I'm honored to be included!