Thursday, May 26, 2016

The Star of Seismic Crimes Is A Catfish

With us today is our blog buddy Chrys Fey with a fun post on a....catfish!  Welcome Chrys. Let's hear about that catfish.

 In 2008, Tropical Storm Fay hit Florida. She became the first storm in recorded history to make landfall in Florida four times! She released so much rain from her cloudy hands that the road and field across from my trailer flooded, making it look like I lived in the middle of a lake. I watched the water rise with growing anticipation. When the water lapped at the top step, I was afraid it would spill over and leak across my living room.

While I nervously kept an eye on the water, a cat fish swam up to greet me. He hung out around my front steps for several minutes before swimming away. I remember hoping he’d find a lake or pond before the earth swallowed the rain, but it continued to rain for days. I was strained in my trailer for about a week, writing and suffering from cabin fever.
Tropical Storm Fay (as well as Hurricane Francis) inspired Hurricane Crimes. She also had another impact on me. Shortly after she finally decided to leave I came up with the last name for my pen name: Fey. Although I chose it for its magical meaning, I still believe the storm gave my muse a nudge in the right direction.
And that cat fish I saw later became the star of Seismic Crimes.
 EXCERPT:
Mosquitoes swarmed inside the car, attracted to the foot of murky water at the bottom. The hum of their music beat against her eardrums.
She moved to the driver’s door and bent down to peer through the window. For a moment, she saw Donovan sitting there, his body hunched over the steering wheel. She nearly lifted her hands to bang on the window as she had done before, but she heard his voice behind her and knew the vision wasn’t real. When she blinked, her eyelids swiped the vision away like windshield wipers. Movement caught her attention. Cupping her hands against the glass, she saw ripples dance along the water’s surface. She squinted to see better and vaulted backward when something leapt out of the water, somersaulted in the air, and landed with a splash. A catfish had made Donovan’s car into a swimming pool. She couldn’t stop the laughter from bubbling out of her mouth.
Donovan came up beside her. “What’s so funny?”
Beth pointed. “You have a catfish in your car.”
Donovan bent down to have a look for himself. “So I do.”

Title: Seismic Crimes
Author: Chrys Fey
Series: Disaster Crimes Series (Book Two)
Publisher: The Wild Rose Press
Format: Digital and Print
DIGITAL LINKS:
PRINT LINKS:

BLURB:

An Internal Affairs Investigator was murdered and his brother, Donovan Goldwyn, was framed. Now Donovan is desperate to prove his innocence. And the one person who can do that is the woman who saved him from a deadly hurricane—Beth Kennedy. From the moment their fates intertwined, passion consumed him. He wants her in his arms. More, he wants her by his side in his darkest moments.

Beth Kennedy may not know everything about Donovan, but she can’t deny what she feels for him. It’s her love for him that pushes her to do whatever she has to do to help him get justice, including putting herself in a criminal’s crosshairs.

When a tip reveals the killer's location, they travel to California, but then an earthquake of catastrophic proportions separates them. As aftershocks roll the land, Beth and Donovan have to endure dangerous conditions while trying to find their way back to one another. Will they reunite and find the killer, or will they lose everything?
HURRICANE CRIMES 99¢ SALE!


DIGITAL LINKS:


GIVEAWAY:

41 comments:

Valerie-Jael said...

Looks like a great book with some true inspiration. Hugs, Valerie

Elephant's Child said...

It does sound good. Thank you both - and drat you both.

Alex J. Cavanaugh said...

You know you should be worried when a catfish swims up to your door!

Out on the prairie said...

I had fish all over my yard one year when the river flooded.

Birgit said...

Ok..scary to know that you were so close to being flooded out but glad all that happened was meeting Mr. Catfish which inspired your book. Congrats on being showcased here and having your book recognized.

Anonymous said...

Taken a chance on YOUR RECOMMENDATIONS and bought them. AU$6.71 and $1.31. The prices won't send me to the poor house.

Shady Del Knight said...

Hi, again Chrys, and hello, Sandra!

The terrible trio of Charley, Frances and Jeanne kept me hunkered down in Central Florida through much of the summer of 2004. As flood waters rose and my lawn turned into a lake, I kicked myself for making a wish that I would someday own waterfront property.

Drawing from her experiences, Chrys is well suited to explore the disaster crimes genre. I wish her success with her book series!

Thank you, dear friend Sandra!

L. Diane Wolfe said...

That's the part about hurricanes most people don't know - the flooding they called. Relieved to hear you were only trapped and not flooded.

Pat Hatt said...

lol who knew a catfish a knocking at the door could do so much.

Colette said...

This reminds me that I need to purchase supplemental flood insurance.

Bleubeard and Elizabeth said...

Right now my back yard and patio look a bit like Chrys' description of her own situation, even though my flooding is caused by excessive rain and hail. Sounds like this would make an excellent story because true life experiences interspersed with mystery makes for an excellent read.

Chrys Fey said...

Thank you, Valerie!

Chrys Fey said...

Exactly. That's not a good sign.

Chrys Fey said...

Yikes! I would've hated that cleanup.

Chrys Fey said...

I was worried about being flooded. But that catfish sure did inspire me. Thank you, Birgit!

Chrys Fey said...

Thank you so much, Andrew! I hope you enjoy them and you don't regret buying them. :)

Chrys Fey said...

Yes, those three hurricanes, especially Frances, inspired Hurricane Crimes.

Thank you so much for the compliment, Shady. I rather enjoy writing about these disasters.

Chrys Fey said...

The flooding can get really bad.

Chrys Fey said...

Who knew, indeed.

Chrys Fey said...

Ha! I'm glad I can remind you. My own heroine later has troubles with that.

Chrys Fey said...

Excessive rain can sure bring in the floods. I hope the rain stops soon where you live.

Thank you, Bleubeard and Elizabeth!

Chrys Fey said...

Thank you so much for having me on your blog today, Sandra. Your readers are awesome! (I'm still stuck at Walmart.) Haha

Sandra Cox said...

Grin.

Jeanie said...

Every year I pick up fish off the beach that have washed in over the winter and didn't get picked to pieces by the birds. But a hurricane? Yikes!

da tabbies o trout towne said...

catfish ???? !!!! ☺☺☺☺

theeze books sound total lee awesum....we will sneek over ta amazon while de food servizz gurlz at werk & chex em out !!

and ona ree lated sorta kinda fresh/sea waterz note: ♫

we iz off line til twooz day sew heerz two a porbeagle shark kinda week oh end ♥♥♥♥

Sandra Cox said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Sandra Cox said...

The pressure's on:)

Romance Reader said...

Sounds interesting. The more I read about this book, more it intrigues me.

Sandra Cox said...

My pleasure, Shady.

Sandra Cox said...

My pleasure.
They are indeed.

Sandra Cox said...

Poor fish:(

Sandra Cox said...

Enjoy your time away. We'll leave the light on for ya.

Chrys Fey said...

It's sad how many fish are impacted by weather.

Chrys Fey said...

Thank you,tabbies. Enjoy your weekend!

Chrys Fey said...

That's my goal. ;)

Magic Love Crow said...

Sounds good! I hope they reunite and find the killer! Thanks for sharing! Hugs!

Stephanie Faris said...

Very clever! I went through the big flood here in 2010 and I know that helplessness that comes when Mother Nature bears down on you and there's nothing you can do.

Kindlemom said...

Thanks so much for sharing this, it sounds really intriguing.

Chrys Fey said...

Thank you, Magic!

Chrys Fey said...

That helplessness does not feel good.

Chrys Fey said...

You're welcome, Kindlemom! Thanks for commenting! :)