Wednesday, January 8, 2020

IWSG Wednesday



The first Wednesday of every month is officially IWSG day. Members post about their doubts and fears, discuss struggles and triumphs, and offer words of encouragement to others who are struggling.

Thanks, as always, to Alex Cavanaugh, founder and Ninja Captain extraordinaire and our awesome co-hosts.

The IWSG monthly question can be found under the IWSG Sign-up tab on the Insecure Writer's Support Group Blog.

The January 8 question—What started you on your writing journey?

I had finished my degree and was working in my chosen profession when I realized I didn’t like it very much. So one afternoon, I asked myself what I wanted to be when I grew up and realized I’d always wanted to be a writer. And so it began. I worked around a full-time job and young children, but carved out time to write every day. I’ve never looked back.

AND…

Reviews.



BORN IN A TREACHEROUS TIME by Jacqui Murray

I have read several of this author’s books and they continue to mesmerize. In this particular story the reader is taken on a journey into prehistoric times where survival can never be taken for granted. The heroine is strong, yet gentle, with a veracious appetite to learn more about her surroundings, other humans and animals, and how to keep her clan alive. To survive she must think and react as her male counterparts, something that not all the other females in her group appreciate. In spite of much opposition, she perseveres.

It was obvious many long hours of research went into this saga. I highly recommend this book especially for prehistory buffs and those who love a well told tale.

A CHILDREN’S ANTHOLOGY by Judy and Keith

This fun anthology has tales for the young and young-at-heart. Each short is a fantasy with helpful information on physics and science woven into the fabric of the story.  If you enjoy dragons and cats, you’ll love these shorts since both wander in and out of them. These stories are purrfect to read to a child or for a young adult to read on their own.







46 comments:

Elephant's Child said...

Hooray for writers. Each and every one of you are my heroes.
And this greedy reader belongs to the second group. My unread towers are huge (and growing) but I DO get to your books. And applaud.

Valerie-Jael said...

Reading has always been my pleasure and purpose in life, so I'm thankful to all who write books. Hugs, Valerie

Hilary Melton-Butcher said...

Hi Sandra - congratulations on realising 'so early' that your passion was in your writing stories - romance always sits well. Jacqui's book/s entice me ... I love the anthropological element of them. All the best for the coming year - with thoughts ... cheers Hilary

Pat Hatt said...

haha at the last one. I'm with you on not liking the 9-5 very much.

L. Diane Wolfe said...

We have to go after our passions.

I love that last one. It is so true!

Birgit said...

It’s wonderful that you found your passion and enjoyed it every day. So nice of you to comment about these 2 books..the authors must be happy. Love the last quote

Alex J. Cavanaugh said...

I still don't know what I want to be when I grow up. I think rock star is out of the question now.
The last one is funny!

Jeanie said...

I started writing when I decided I wanted to be Jo in Little Women. I think I read that book in about third grade (probably abridged) and many times after. And I've been writing ever since!

Bleubeard and Elizabeth said...

IF it weren't for writers, I'd have to talk to myself. My stories aren't as good as the ones I choose to read.

Helen said...

The last picture rings so true, lol. Maybe people are worried they will be disappointed by what you write and they don't want to have to tell you that if they are? Don't know but I get what you say.

Sandra Cox said...

You couldn't have said anything that meant more to me:)
Thank you.

Sandra Cox said...

There're always stories out there that are better than what we write, aren't there?

Sandra Cox said...

Me too, Val:)

R's Rue said...

Love the honest answer.

Jacqui said...

Smart move, Sandra. As a reader, I can tell you've found the right profession.

Sandra Cox said...

The Children's Anthology was well told and a fun read.
AND...
I scoop up anything by author and good bud Jacqui Murray:)

Sandra Cox said...

Good taste, Hilary. Jacqui's books entice me too:)

Inspiration and Fashion said...

Hi, I follow you on gfc # 434 ,follow back?

https://insandfashion.blogspot.com/

emaginette said...

Some choices are easier than others. :-)

Anna from elements of emaginette

Christine said...

Interesting to know how you got started with your writing. Good reviews, thanks.

Sandra Cox said...

Thanks, Christine. Both books are great.

Truedessa said...

I ask myself that question everyday. What do I want to do but, then reality sinks in and I go to work.

Sandra Cox said...

We sure do. Sounds like you did as well, Di:)

Sandra Cox said...

I'm so glad I'm retired:)

cleemckenzie said...

That is quite an accomplishment! Writing with a family to care for is more than a full-time job!

nashvillecats2 said...

Great post and reviews Sandra. Sorry I'm late.

Yvonne.

Sandra Cox said...

That last pic says it all, doesn't it. Heh.

Sandra Cox said...

Go for it, Alex.

Sandra Cox said...

What a classic. No wonder you decided to write.

Sandra Cox said...

Thanks, Rue.

Sandra Cox said...

You are always so good for my writer's self-esteem. And right back at ya.

Sandra Cox said...

Done and done. I like your blog!

Sandra Cox said...

Ha. Exactly.

Sandra Cox said...

Heh. For sure, Anna:)

Sandra Cox said...

Writers do what writers have to do:)
How you be, Lee?

Sandra Cox said...

Thanks, Yvonne. We are running neck and neck. Heh.

Sonya said...

Very cool (and prolly a bit scary) about your jump to writing! I love the tension tips. I think it makes the story realistic and dynamic. 👍

J.Q. Rose said...

You are a brave woman. I opted out to go to college to become an elementary school teacher like my mom. But I really wanted to go to Northwestern, but lots of $$$. Finally 30 years later I got the opportunity to write. You go, GRRL!
JQ Rose

Fundy Blue said...

I admire people like you who were able to carve time out for writing in the middle of a busy life, Sandra. I've written throughout my life, but it wasn't until I retired that I could tackle a book. Wishing you lots of continued writing success.

Sandra Cox said...

Hey Sis,
It was a bit.
I agree on the tension tips. And it always something I have to remind myself of:)
Hugs

Sandra Cox said...

And a fine job you are doing too, Cuz:)

Sandra Cox said...

Thanks for the well wishes and right back at ya:)

J.Q. Rose said...

Aw, thanks...!!!

Lowcarb team member said...

I totally agree with what Valerie said 'Reading has always been my pleasure and purpose in life, so I'm thankful to all who write books'

All the best Jan

Sandra Cox said...

I too, Jan:)

Magic Love Crow said...

Good for you Sandra!!
I still don't know what I want to do, but I have to say, I do love talking and helping people! Big Hugs!