Wednesday, July 22, 2026

Writerly Wednesday AND Did You Know

 What's your synonym, definition or sentence for:

 


 Example:  Another furphy is circulating in Washington.

 FURPHY Definition & Meaning - Merriam-Webster

AND 

Did you know, Robert Duvall loved to perform the Argentine Tango and that he and his wife danced the tango daily?  

For more information: Robert Duvall dead at 95: His Love Affair with Argentina and Tango Culture 


 

16 comments:

Andrew said...

Furphy is idle gossip that's wrong. I didn't know the Australia word had spread to the rest of the world. Its origins are from water carts made by a man called Furphy, and men would gather at the water cart when it arrived and gossip about what information or rumours they had heard.

David M. Gascoigne, said...

Let me tell you that in Washington furphy is the usual order of things. I heard it on reliable authority that there was serious intent to establish the post of Secretary of Furphy, but there were so many candidates, including the current secretaries in their various roles, they had to abandon the plan. A Quinnipiac poll established that more were proficient at furphyism than the tango.

Linda's Relaxing Lair said...

Thank you so much for sharing this information about Robert Duvall!!!

J.P. Alexander said...

Te mando un beso.

CJ Kennedy said...

I learned furphy from an Aussie friend. A synonym is a porkie short for pork pie which is rhyming slang for a lie.

Birgit said...

Trump is one huge furphy! Oh yes, I know about Duvall's love of the Argentine Tango. He built his own dance floor etc in his barn, I think. I don't think its attached to the house. I wonder if he watched Dancing With The Stars?

Christine said...

Good word!

Sandra Cox said...

Glad you liked it, Christine.

Jeanie said...

I didn't know that but I'd like to see it!

Sandra Cox said...

Jeanie, There are some you tube trailers out there of him dancing the tango.

Sandra Cox said...

Thank you, JP. Sending you a hug:)

Sandra Cox said...

Good job! Thanks for sharing, Andrew.

Sandra Cox said...

Ha! Well done as always, David.

Sandra Cox said...

You are most welcome, Linda. He was such a fascinating individual, wasn't he?

Sandra Cox said...

Thumbs up, CJ:) Great job!

Sandra Cox said...

I knew you'd know about Duvall, Birgit.Grin. And that's exactly right, he did build his dance floor in his barn.