Wednesday, October 7, 2026

IWSG Wednesday AND Did You Know Thursday

 


 

The first Wednesday of every month is officially IWSG day. IWSG was formed by Ninja Captain Alex Cavanaugh. Members post about their doubts and fears, discuss struggles and triumphs, and offer words of encouragement to others who are struggling.

 

Twitter handle: @TheIWSG  

Hashtag: #IWSG 


Let’s rock the neurotic writing world!



The Awesome co-hosts for

October 7 posting of the IWSG are Ronel Janse van Vuuren, Liza at Middle Passages, JH Moncrieff, and Jemima Pett!


Every month, we announce a question that members can answer in their IWSG post. These questions may prompt you to share advice, insight, a personal experience or story. Include your answer to the question in your IWSG post or let it inspire your post if you are struggling with something to say. 

Remember, the question is optional!

October 7 question - Many people are calling for writers who use AI to disclose it. Most who employ ghostwriters do not admit it - do you think authors who use ghostwriters should have to disclose that, too? (Thanks Melissa Maygrove for the question!)

This question really made me pause. I had to think it through. 

Yes, I think if other than the author is doing the writing it should be acknowledged.

  It can be as simple as: My thoughts. A ghostwriter's words. Or My thoughts. AI's words.

 I look forward to seeing others take on this question.

 

AND

 

September/October Reviews in no particular order.

* Disclaimer. If I run into an occasional typo, I ignore them and don't factor them into my review.

 

LORA LEY-BOOKONE-SECRETS OF THE NYX by Sylvia Kay Rose

A fascinating blend of fantasy and German mythology.

 

Lora Ley, a young woman with a troubled past, has finally found her niche and is engaged to be married to the man she loves when she uncovers a startling truth: she is only half human. The other half is Nyx (a shapeshifting water spirit).  With this discovery she learns of a wonderful new world that exists under water. A world of bold colors and fascinating creatures, such as Skoldt, a vegetarian brook horse and a salamander goblin named Krog.  But her heritage comes with life altering decisions.  She must now choose which world she wants along with which male.  One is her human fiancé. One is like herself: half Nyx, half human. And if that’s not enough to contend with, an evil being wants her life and is willing to destroy both worlds to do it.

Another great tale by an author who weaves her own brand of magic.

Available at Amazon 

 

 

BANISHED-STREET RATS OF ARAMOOR: BOOK 1
HURRICANE-STREET RATS OF ARAMOOR: BOOK 2
ROCKSLIDE-STREET RATS OF ARAMOOR: BOOK 3

SANDSTORM-STREET RATS OF ARAMOOR: BOOK 4

WILDFIRE-STREET RATS OF ARAMOOR: BOOK 5

What a great YA Fantasy Series. I wasn’t sure I would like this series, given that the protagonist is a thirteen-year-old boy trained to be an assassin, but he turns out to be a mercenary that doesn’t like to kill. The books are loaded with action, and twists and turns, and the characters and their world are extremely well-developed. 

These are stand out reads, especially if you like YA fantasy fiction. I've been going through them like I was eating candy:)

Available at Amazon 

 

 

 

JUDY’S POEMS: XV, POEMS ON LEAVING AND RESISTING by Judy Fay London

The author’s prose fascinated me. Some were raw, some were poignant, and many were tumultuous and heart-wrenching. Each one told a short story in verse.

 

This is one example: ‘But MY LOVE…

Hundreds of years,

I’ve been waiting,

Waiting for you.

Thousands of days,

I’ve been watching,

Watching out for you.

Finally, I meet you.

But my love,

You don’t love me.

My heart is broken into

Hundreds of pieces,

Watching

Thousands of my tears

Floating in the howling wind.’

 

I thoroughly enjoyed each and every poem, and found it hard to put down. For those of you who choose to read it and aren’t familiar with the author, you will find several mentions of Candy. Candy is her beloved dog that passed. And a spoiler alert: there are several political poems and the author is very succinct in her views. That said, it’s a poetry book I strongly endorse.

Available at Amazon 

 

 

 

ISLA AND THE STRANGE ISLAND by Zea Perez

Isla the sea turtle, and her little Surgeon friend Suri, discover harmful plastics in the ocean that make Suri sick. They also discover caring humans that tackle the problems of healing Suri and removing the harmful pollutants. Then, after their larger-than-life adventure, they journey home.

This is such a sweet story, and the book is filled with cute illustrations. It’s also very informative. The author sprinkles the tale with facts about sea turtles, how to remove plastics from the sea, and the importance of taking care of the earth.

The reading level is listed as teen and young adults, but I think it would be fine for youngsters to read or have read to them.  A standout choice for teaching young people and young ones about kindheartedness and taking responsibility for the world around them. Kudos to the author for writing about the importance of ecology and doing it in a fun, enjoyable manner.

Available at Amazon 

 

FOSTER ROAD by Thomas Muller

To keep them safe from urban crime, Greg Warner has moved his family out of the city and into bucolic rural Pennsylvania where he and his wife have found their dream home.

Things soon take a sinister twist, then turn deadly, when they find out the man who ran the abandoned asylum, that sits close to their property, was the original owner of their house. A dark-hearted individual who tortured his patients. Now, the dead cannot rest. Neither at the asylum or in the Warner’s new home where more than one person died. 

Greg and his family find themselves caught up in a nightmare more terrible than anything they could have imagined.

Horror is not one of my typical reading genres 😊 but the storyline and well-fleshed-out characters drew me in. The book entertains from the beginning. And once the reader is well and truly hooked, the tension begins to mount. And the further into the story you wander the more the intensity builds, until the final horrifying crescendo.

This riveting narrative is a must read for horror aficionados. A word of caution…don’t read after midnight. You never know what’s lurking in the shadows. 

Available on Amazon 

 

 

RED AGENDA by William Prystauk

The word on the streets is that a feared vampire terrorist group known as Red Agenda has plans to take out the President when he comes to Philly for a visit. Detective Bobby Reagan of the Philadelphia Police Paranormal Unit is determined not to let that happen. To add to the turmoil, he’s been partnered with a vampire. And if there’s one thing he doesn’t trust it’s vampires.

Tension mounts as time shortens. Reagan’s co-workers are being slaughtered and the vampires are staying one step ahead of the unit. But how? When he finally figures it out, the answer leaves Reagan reeling.

This isn’t a genre I normally read, but I’m so glad I did.  It held my interest from page one all the way through. A must for lovers of dark fiction or for those who enjoy a tense, well told tale. 

Available at Amazon 

 

AND

 

 

 



https://cowboytrivia.blogspot.com/p/win-western.html

 

 

AND 

 

Did you know, before publishing THE TIME MACHINE, H.G. Wells was a math teacher?

 

150 Interesting Facts About Our Favorite Authors [Infographic]

 


 

 


19 comments:

Quiet Pages from Korea said...

Your suggested wording makes the contribution clearer. I think the useful distinction is between editing someone's prose and writing the prose for them. A brief acknowledgement could name that role without diminishing the person whose story is being told. For transparency, this comment is AI-assisted. Would you put a ghostwriter's credit in the acknowledgements, or somewhere readers see before the first page?

Donna said...

Just popping in to say hello...backing out of the room now...love 'ya...
hugs
Donna

Christine said...

Interesting fact, thanks for the reviews

Natalie Aguirre said...

I think it depends on the situation whether the ghostwriter should be disclosed because part of ghostwriting and writing for hire, which some authors do to supplement their income, is done with the expectation of no acknowledgment. But I think celebrities should acknowledge and support their ghostwriters.

Alex J. Cavanaugh said...

I think ghostwriters should be acknowledged. Didn't know Wells was a math teacher.

Jeanie said...

Yes, I DO think ghostwriters should be acknowledged. And yup! I knew that about Wells.

Birgit said...

I always felt ghostwriter should be acknowledged. I can't get how so many famous people talk about their book when they just told their stories to a writer and that is the person. Who actually wrote the book. I still recall how amazed the media was when Lauren Bacall actually wrote her own book. So did Candice Bergen. I had no idea that H. G. Wells was a math teacher. Interesting g.

Crystal Collier said...

Lovely! You've added to my TBR pile. Thanks for the recommendations!

L. Diane Wolfe said...

The responses to the question seem varied today.

Ronel Janse van Vuuren said...

Love this book recommendation "LORA LEY-BOOKONE-SECRETS OF THE NYX" and have added it to my (huge) TBR :-)

Ronel the Mythmaker

cleemckenzie said...

You make it quite clear what the distinction should be between the idea provider and the generator of the work.

I loved the H. G. Wells information. I didn't know he was anything but a fabulous writer. Thanks.

Sylvia Kay Rose said...

Hi everyone, and thanks so much dear Sandra for your wonderful review of Lora Ley Book One: Secrets of the Nyx. I've got my eye on a sapphire in November, or 2095, when I catch up on my reading list! Things are a little hectic til end of this month. Season of screams, you bet, As for the AI and ghostwriter disclosure, that is indeed food for thought. I wrote articles a while ago and when they were sold I gave up all rights to them, allowing the purchasers to put their own names on my writing. That was the agreement and ok with me. However, in light of the AI controversy and demands for disclosure, I must say it has to be universal.
Love all :)
Sylvia

Sandra Cox said...

I agree, Alex, and I didn't know about Wells either. It always amazes me when I find out one of the 'writing royalty' started out just like the rest of us.

Linda's Relaxing Lair said...

I love the illustration on the sea turtle one!

J.P. Alexander said...

Gracias por la reseña. Te mando un beso.

The Happy Whisk said...

I think writers should write their own books. I'm a writer. Would NEVER want AI anywhere near my writing, art, photography, baking or candle stick making.

Sandra Cox said...

I did not know that Bacall and Bergen wrote their own books. I wonder how much 'ghostwriters for the stars':) make. Take special care of yourself, Birgit.

Janie Junebug said...

I did not know H. G. Wells was a math teacher. I think writers should definitely disclose the use of AI or a ghost writer.

Love,
Janie

Bleubeard and Elizabeth said...

I knew H. G. Wells was a math teacher. I think AI work should be disclosed, but the reason famous people hire ghostwriters is because they want to keep it quiet that someone else actually wrote the words to their autobiography. The story will be the same, just better written.