Friday, April 10, 2020

Friday's Good Read AND How to Survive Home Schooling


How to Survive Home Schooling

As a mom of a teenager, I have it pretty easy. The boy is self-sufficient. And this allows me to do my work.
Write? I wish! I'm also a high school teacher. In my long career, I've taught, subbed, and tutored all ages, from Pre School through College. So I claim to know a thing or two about kids and educating them.





This online learning is T-O-U-G-H ! In addition to being new, glitchy, and experimental, the worst part is the kids have to manage themselves, with help from their parents depending on how old they are. And parents are figuring out how to take care of their families--do we have enough toilet paper?



So as I stress myself out trying to make this process as easy as possible for my students while still educating them to some degree, I'm giving out some free advice on...
How to Survive Home Schooling:
Make a Schedule. Kids need organization and structure. School was their routine. Now it's Saturday every day--sleep in late, play video games, eat junk, take a nap, live on social media. Mom found a spare minute to make them Do Lessons? Groan, whine, complain. It's hard to make them do things, but parents have to buck up and stick to the schedule. Once the routine is set, it will go much easier. (How do you think we teachers survive at school?)
Be Flexible. Now that you have a schedule, stick to it, but it isn't stone. As a teacher and a mom, I know how rough this situation is. I have loosened on deadlines and become more available for kids. It's okay if they don't get everything done all at once. If you see they're struggling, take a break. We all have to adjust to this craziness!
Rewards. I don't like to say bribes. And if you don't tell them up front--make it a surprise--it's more of a reward anyway. But bribery rewards like treats, a new video game, or some fun, messy activity you find online, can go a long way.
Hopefully you are safe and sane. If your family makes a stronger connection through all this, that's a bonus! Try to see the positives. I hope these simple guidelines can help reduce the stress of Online Learning.
Do you teach? How are you holding up?

PS - Free online books for any who ask!



Recently re-published, BEAST WORLD Series -- Teenage fantasy creatures in high school.

Broken Branch Falls ~~~ Cradle Rock ~~~ Windy Hollow

Tara Tyler has had a hand in everything from waitressing to rocket engineering. After moving all over the US, she now writes and teaches math in Ohio with her husband and one boy left in the nest. She has two novel series, Pop Travel (sci-fi detective thrillers) and Beast World (fantasy adventures), plus her UnPrincess novella series where the maidens save themselves. She's a commended blogger, contributed to several anthologies, and to fit in all these projects, she economizes her time, aka the Lazy Housewife—someday she might write a book on that... Make every day an adventure!

How to find:
website: Tara Tyler Talks
twitter: @taratylertalks
facebook: Tara Tyler -
Author

Instagram: taratylertalks
newsletter: tara tyler news



48 comments:

Valerie-Jael said...

Souns like a great book, and just right for now! I used to be a teacher, but I must admit, retirement is better! Hugs, Valerie

Elephant's Child said...

Huge Congratulations to Tara. The greedy reader in me is itching to add her books to my piles...
Thank you both, and drat you both. I NEED more books like I want root canal therapy.
Teaching? Not something I could face on a good day - which this isn't.

nashvillecats2 said...

Congrats Tara on your book. Happy Good Friday to you Sandra.....even indoors. Take care.

Yvonne.

Hilary Melton-Butcher said...

Hi Sandra - great to see Tara's adaption to life today; it was a very quick change over to teaching on line ... so well done - but am glad your last child is independent ... take care and all the best to you both - Hilary PS I often get told I must have been a teacher ... but no!

Anonymous said...

It's an interesting insight. My sister's 12 year old daughter will have no problem with learning at home, but sister's students, 16, 17 and 18 year old boys, well she is not so sure how they will go.

Bleubeard and Elizabeth said...

Congratulations to Tara on her latest release. The schools where I live send handouts each week, because not all children have computers. It's a nightmare for the teachers who have to grade all those lessons when they all come in on a single day. Tara's insight into school studies shows she knows what she's talking about.

RO said...

Congrats on the new release! My son is going through this right now, so I'll pass on these tips. Thanks so much! RO

R's Rue said...

Congrats.

Alex J. Cavanaugh said...

I imagine it's really tough right now to home school for those who've never done it. Bribes are a good idea!

CJ Kennedy said...

Congratulations! 💐

Pat Hatt said...

Bribes are always a staple for me to use. Whether dog, cat, or kid lol

Christine said...

The book sounds good, enjoyed reading about the home schooling, tough.

Computer Tutor said...

Great tips, Sandra. I just wrote a 'three tips' email for an ezine, for an issue their publishing on surviving remote teaching. Too bad I didn't read yours first!

Jeanie said...

Some very helpful ideas. Congratulations, Tara!

Adam said...

Not many realized they'd be learning at home this year.

Sandra Cox said...

Ha. I love your blog profile about teaching:)
Elbow bump.

Sandra Cox said...

Tara's books do sound good.
I don't think I'd do well as an instructor either. Though there's certainly enough members of my family that are:)
Happy Easter.

Sandra Cox said...

The teachers had to adjust rapidly that's for sure.
Happy Easter.

Sandra Cox said...

Could be interesting with the boys.

Sandra Cox said...

Happy Easter, Yvonne.
Stay safe. Stay healthy.

Tara Tyler said...

Retirement sounds nice =) Soon!
and thanks!

Tara Tyler said...

I know, my TBR list is quite extensive as well, and so little time to read! Thank you =)

Tara Tyler said...

Thank you, hope all is well with you, Yvonne!

Tara Tyler said...

Hilary, always good to see you! And I can see that, you're so full of wonderful knowledge!

Tara Tyler said...

as a mother and teacher of teenage boys -- i totally understand, they're so restless!

Tara Tyler said...

yes, not everyone has the technology, we provide ipads for ours, but not all have internet access. We all make do - it's what we do! thank you!

Tara Tyler said...

terrific! and thanks!

Tara Tyler said...

thank you!

Tara Tyler said...

Not all kids are rewarded by the knowledge... haha!
nice to see you Alex!

Tara Tyler said...

exactly. depends on what we want from them too!

Tara Tyler said...

lucky are those who don't have to deal with it, but i know others are dealing with their own changes--such strange times!
and thanks!

Tara Tyler said...

thanks, Jacqui! it's all the rage!

Tara Tyler said...

thank you, Jeanie!

Tara Tyler said...

no, it's been quite a shocking change, and interesting to see what students are really made of (for them as well!)

Tara Tyler said...

Sandra, what a great following you have! Thanks so much for having me. I enjoyed being here and hearing from all these wonderful folks =)
Hope you are doing well!

Birgit said...

A very good book especially in these times. Congrats on the new book.

Sandra Cox said...

That's for sure, Elizabeth.

Sandra Cox said...

I didn't realize your son was a teacher, Ro.

Sandra Cox said...

The series looks intriguing doesn't it?

Sandra Cox said...

I can get behind bribes! Heh.

Sandra Cox said...

The series looks fascinating doesn't it, CJ?

Sandra Cox said...

Right there with ya, Pat:)

Sandra Cox said...

It does sound good. It's going on my TBR list.

Sandra Cox said...

Thanks, Jacqui. Wish I could take credit for it, but it was all Tara.
I'm sure your article was great. Would love to see it.
YOU take special care.

Sandra Cox said...

A writer and a teacher. You can't beat that combo.

Sandra Cox said...

The blogger buds are THE BEST. And it was entirely my pleasure to have you. Great post and intriguing books.

Sandra Cox said...

Looks like a fun series doesn't it, Birgit?

Magic Love Crow said...

Congrats Tara!!! Looks like an excellent series!!