Wednesday, June 2, 2021

IWSG Wednesday

 


 

The first Wednesday of every month is officially IWSG day. Members post about their doubts and fears, discuss struggles and triumphs, and offer words of encouragement to others who are struggling.

June 2 question - For how long do you shelve your first draft, before reading it and re-drafting? Is this dependent on your writing experience and the number of stories/books under your belt?

My approach is a little different. I try to keep three stories in the hopper. I'll work on a story one month then move to another the next, etc. When I rotate back to a story I reread what I've written, clean it up and continue on. So I get a fresh perspective every time I approach it. What about you?


The awesome co-hosts for the June 2 posting of the IWSG are J Lenni Dorner, Sarah Foster, Natalie Aguirre, Lee Lowery, and Rachna Chhabria!
 

 

AND

 

May/June reviews in no particular order

 


GIRLS SUCCEED!  Stories Behind the Careers of Successful Women by J.Q. Rose

This book was just wonderful and very motivating. It shows young women they can become anything they want. What was really fun about these motivational stories, the women didn't have the typical nine to five jobs and included a horse trainer, an Olympic winner, a personal chef and so on. Girls from nine to ninety will love this book and feel inspired. Available at Amazon

 

 

 

 

 


TREE FAIRIES AND THEIR SHORT STORIES by D. L. Finn

This is a warm, wonderful tale about humans whose world intersects with fairies, when two children—Danny and Colette—discover and are drawn into the world of tree fairies. What’s really special about this book is the emphasis on the environment and the creatures of the wild, and the lesson that protecting both is a trust we are called upon to honor. Another treat in this story is that it includes one of D. L. Finn’s delicious poems. It entwines perfectly with the story.  A lovely read for children and adults alike. Available at Amazon

 

 

 


TREAD: INSURRECTION by Jeff Marco

Military melds with Sci Fi

INSURRECTION takes up where FALLEN NATION ends. This chiller’s focus is not only on a viral outbreak but a military coup and civil war, as well.  What I found particularly frightening, especially in the times we live in, is that the premise is entirely credible.

The descriptions are well done and the characters believable. Every time I read this author I am struck by his military and arms knowledge. His field artillery expertise shines through in his writing. This story will appeal to readers with a military background or just enjoy a believable, apocalyptic tale. Available at Amazon


 


CHROME PINK by Sherri Hollister

This story successfully weaves a steamy romance, drama and suspense into an edge-of-your-seat story. It follows Ray Lynne Grimes, a rape survivor whose trauma takes her on a journey of too much alcohol and one night stands to pulling herself together and fighting whoever is trying to destroy her and cripple the town she lives in.

The story really hooked me and I ended up staying up way past bedtime;) The writer's character development and world building was amazing.

I've got the next book in the series sitting on my Kindle. Available at Amazon

 

 

 

 

TRAD

HIDEAWAY by Nora Roberts

I occasionally like to read Nora, not just for the storyline, but because her writing style fascinates me. She has a unique bold way of describing her characters’ surroundings and the characters themselves. This story is typical Nora and centers around Cate, a young woman whose childhood nightmare carries over into  modern day. Spoiler alert: The heroine’s mom isn’t going to win any June Cleaver awards.

 

AND

 

I have a new release coming out. I'm doing Cover Release till June 25th, then book release till July 25th. If you can help me get the word out just shoot me a note in my contact form.  Thanks to any and all who are willing to help. Appreciate ya.

An aging bounty hunter and a woman bent on vengeance form an unlikely alliance.

https://tinyurl.com/KeeperTyree

 AND

Ever suffer from Writer's Block? This has got some helpful tips to work through it. Thanks to Sherri Hollister for tweeting it.

 


35 comments:

Hilary Melton-Butcher said...

Hi Sandra - good luck with the new release ... I rather like your idea of having three drafts on the go at a time and rotating them. All the best - Hilary

Valerie-Jael said...

Thanks for showing your recommendations. Good luck with your new lunch! Hugs, Valerie

Elephant's Child said...

Love your approach to editing. What a wonderful way to keep it fresh.
And thank you for the book reviews.

Natalie Aguirre said...

That's great that you can work on more than one project at the same time. I have to work on one at a time, at least right now.

Alex J. Cavanaugh said...

I'd be so confused with three stories at once.
Congratulations on the upcoming release! You know I'll help any way I can.

Computer Tutor said...

Interesting approach. You never mix up plot lines or characters? I'd be afraid I would. I like that it does pull you away long enough to get a fresh look when you return.

Sandra Cox said...

Thanks, Hils:)
It helps give me a fresher perspective.
Cheers,

Sandra Cox said...

Your bet and thanks for your help with the launch. Much appreciated.
Hugs received and returned.

J.Q. Rose said...

Thank you for reviewing Girls Succeed today! I love that you recommend it for girls from 9 to 90. There's always a girl inside us, no matter what age we are. Congrats on your new release. I pre-ordered it.!!! Yee-haw, looking forward to reading it!

cleemckenzie said...

I like that idea. When you get stuck in one story, you can move to another. I read that way, too. Drives my family nuts. They don't understand. Great news on your book! I'll be glad to help with getting word out. Let me know what I can do.

Christine said...

Thanks for sharing!

Sandra Cox said...

It helps me. By the end of the month I'm struggling for a fresh perspective:)
You are most welcome. You need some new books. Choke. Choke. Hack. Hack. Grin.

Sandra Cox said...

Definitely, whatever works for you, Natalie. I find I'm running out of steam by the end of the month so it helps me switch gears.

Sandra Cox said...

Thanks, bud. I appreciate ya:)

Sandra Cox said...

Now I didn't say that. Haha.

Sandra Cox said...

Yay! Thanks for the pre-order, Cuz! Much appreciated.
GIRLS SUCCEED definitely fall in the Keeper (ha ha) category:)

Sandra Cox said...

Exactly.
Interesting on the reading.
Thanks for your offer to help. Much appreciated.

Sandra Cox said...

Entirely my pleasure, Christine;)

Melissa said...

I rarely work on more than one story at a time, but I write full-length novels, and big ones. I also have a full-time non-writer job.

D.L. Finn said...

I like to mix it up after I get the first draft done. I have three projects going right now but only focusing on one right now. It's nice to have options when you get stuck or something. Thank you for including the great review of Tree Fairies, Sandra! Still doing my happy dance:) Found a couple more books to add to my huge TBR list too!

Jeanie said...

I did a first draft of my book, sent it out for corrections/proofing and all and now must add my revisions and additional stories. Summer project!

Bleubeard and Elizabeth said...

Wow, Sandra. That's a great idea. I fear I would get confused if I had three stories in the mix at once. But I like your approach and I am sure it works well for you. After all, you are definitely well published. That guy had some good tips, too.

J.P. Alexander said...

Por lo general lo dejo un parde meses. Luego lo reviso mientras lo subo ami blog. Te mando un beso y suerte con los libros

Sandra Cox said...

I hear ya. I did that for many years.

Sandra Cox said...

You need more books to read for sure:) ROFL.
Good on you for having 3 projects going. Once I get Keeper launched I'm thinking about a sequel, which would be my 3rd:)

Sandra Cox said...

Excellent, Jeanie! Is this your art journal?

Sandra Cox said...

Thanks, Elizabeth. I do occasionally get confused:)Shh. Heh.
He did have some great tips. The one that struck me was going back to a non-action point and tossing action into it. I liked that!

Sandra Cox said...

Letting it percolate:)
Thanks, J.P.:)

Birgit said...

You are quite wild working on 3 all at once. I know I couldn't do that as I would get unfocused. I congratulate all the authors and the fairy one intrigues me. Let me know if you would like me to showcase it on my facebook page..I will do that again for you :)

Sandra Cox said...

FB would be great, Birgit. Thanks!
The TREE FAIRIES was definitely magical. I'm a D. L. Finn fan:)

Sandra Cox said...

PS I'd love to see that happy dance;)

Steven Arellano Rose Jr. said...

Sounds like you have a well organised method of writing and revising. I'm not as organised as I probably should be; I just let myself grope around too much with my fiction projects and maybe let too many of my first drafts sit too long as much as they give me a fresh look at the stories when I finally revise them. Lol

Magic Love Crow said...

Thanks for the reviews Sandra!!
The new book sounds good! Congrats! If I can help, I will!
Big Hugs!

D.L. Finn said...

Thanks, Birgit :)

Neurotic Workaholic said...

Congratulation on the new release. I've actually shelved the manuscripts for three books I wrote over the years. I do need to revise them because I still want to put them out there.