Wednesday, September 7, 2022

IWSG Wednesday

 


The first Wednesday of every month is officially IWSG day. IWSG was formed by Ninja Captain Alex Cavanaugh. Members post about their doubts and fears, discuss struggles and triumphs, and offer words of encouragement to others who are struggling.

The awesome co-hosts for the September 7 posting of the IWSG are Kim Lajevardi, Cathrina Constantine, Natalie Aguirre, Olga Godim, Michelle Wallace, and Louise - Fundy Blue!

This month's question:
What genre would be the worst one for you to tackle and why?

This one is pretty easy for me. I'm not sure it would be considered a genre but one thing I would never tackle is a memoir. Why? That's easy too:) I'm a fairly private person not to mention I'm just not that interesting:) Who wants to listen to someone blather on about stones, flowers, animals, the grands and writing for a few hundred pages? Some folks could turn that into interesting, but I'm not one of them:) What about you? What would your worst genre to write be?

      BOOK NEWS AND REVIEWS

KARI’S RECKONING Book Four of the Rose Shield Series by D. Wallace Peach

 

In book three Catling has lost everything that matters to her, her daughter Rose and Whitt, who she’s loved since she was a young girl. Now politics have heated up and her country is as war, and the enemy wants Catling and her power.

Her life no longer her own, she does her duty, facing one insurmountable problem after another.

As the book builds to a cataclysmic end, Catling discovers there are traitors among the realm, people she should be able to trust that are willing to bring down the kingdom.

All Catling ever wanted was a simple life with those she loved, now she’s faced with the challenge of a lifetime. Lose everything, including her life, to save someone she cares about.

As always, the author wraps up an edge-of-the-seat series with a big red bow. D. Wallace Peach, and fantasy, fans won’t be disappointed.

Available at Amazon

 

SIZE MATTERS by Sally Cronin

 

This isn’t my normal reading fare but I’m so glad I read this. It was emotionally satisfying as I followed the author on her journey of weight loss and was chock full of helpful information.

It talked about vitamins and minerals and the signs to watch for if you are missing them in your diet. On how to approach eating and exercising. On getting to the root of why you have a weight problem (if you do). It breaks down the food groups. Tells how many calories are in what foods and how many calories you burn when housecleaning, exercising etc. Charts are included at the end to track what you eat and figure out your own plan for weight loss.

I would recommend this for any reader. Even if you aren’t overweight, it gives you plenty of tips on staying healthy.  This is an amazing read. Highly recommended.

Available at Amazon.

 

RED STEEL, Book #5 of Leeward Files Series by Sherri Lupton Hollister

 

Another steamy suspense in the Harrell Family Chronicles/Leeward Files Series.

 


Firefighter Billy Grimes is a player. At least that’s the reputation he has.

Tracy Harrell is a reporter with an eye to her career and doesn’t want to be held back by a relationship.

Both come together when fires uncover dead bodies and a secret that could rock the town of Leeward. For Billy it’s personal. For Tracy the same as it could lead to the story that will break open her career. Sparks fly when these two headstrong characters butt heads and they have to decide whether it’s worth the risk to put their hearts on the line in a bid for happy ever after.

Available at Amazon.

 

FARLANDERS’ LAW Book Three of the Rose Shield Series by D. Wallace Peach

Because of palace intrigue and a deep need to protect her daughter, Catling gives Rose, her beautiful baby, to Whitt—the man she’s always loved—to protect her, leaving Catling alone with no one to trust or rely on, nothing left for her but bone-deep, soul crushing loneliness.

Whitt betrays his soldier’s oath for the greater good. He and young Rose join the rebels and while with them he mates with a Farlander. Another loss for Catling. All the while tension runs high as treaties in the realm are collapsing.

I can’t wait to read book four to find out how Ms. Peach will pull all these intriguing strands together and hopefully give Catling an HEA.

Available at Amazon.

 

 AND

 

AND 



Available at Amazon

 




 

 

 

24 comments:

Elephant's Child said...

Thank you for the bookie temptation. I struggle to write anything. Writers are my heroes. And yes, my own life is far too dull for a memoir, though I love to read them.

Valerie-Jael said...

You have some great recommendations! Hugs, Valerie

Bleubeard and Elizabeth said...

Your life is far more interesting than mine. I would probably never write a memoir, either.

Nice book suggestions.

Hilary Melton-Butcher said...

Hi Sandra - your blog is your memoir in a way ... but I could never write a book as you've done (many of them) ... But these temptations look great reads - good luck to all authors - cheers Hilary

Natalie Aguirre said...

I don't think I have an interesting enough life to write a memoir either. And I wouldn't want to relive the painful times. Loved seeing what you've been reading.

nashvillecats2 said...

Enjoyed reading your post also the list of books.
Great post Sandra.

Yvonne.

L. Diane Wolfe said...

A lot of people who write memoirs shouldn't be writing them either.

Christine said...

My worst would be horror/suspense

Alex J. Cavanaugh said...

I'm also private and certainly not that interesting.

Computer Tutor said...

Erma Bombeck could make "stones, flowers, animals, the grands" interesting, but not me either! Good reviews.

Sally Cronin said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Sally Cronin said...

Thanks so much for sharing your generous review here Sandra and I am in great company... as genres I probably won't dabble in are Science Fiction and Crime thrillers... My husband is a huge long term of SF and I would never get away with it... xx

Birgit said...

I bet you have a more interesting life than you think. I would have a hard time writing about sci-fi. Anything involving science is not for Mr even though I love Star Trek. The weight loss one has me intrigued because you cam learn so much about all the addictive foods we eat.

cleemckenzie said...

Memoir is too "personal." I'd find myself editing out far too much, and even then, just thinking about someone reading about my personal life is terrifying.

Sandra Cox said...

EC, You might struggle to write, but you sure end up with some great results.
I don't know about my life being more interesting, dear Elizabeth. Glad you like the book suggestions.
Hils, That's a lovely way of thinking of blogs. We writers thank you for the well wishes. Cheers.
Right there with ya, Natalie.
Thanks, Yvonne. All the books are keepers. Again, welcome back.
Diane, I hadn't thought of that:)

Sandra Cox said...

Christine, Both challenging genres.
Alex, Private yes. Not interesting no.
Jacqui, So true about Erma. She was pure genius.
Sally, You're most welcome. I thoroughly enjoyed it. Right there with ya on writing Sci Fi or Thrillers.
Birgit, I think you'd like Size Matters. I found it fascinating.
Lee, Right there with ya.

Sandra Cox said...

Thanks, Val. They're good reads for sure.

D. Wallace Peach said...

Woo hoo. Two reviews, Sandra. That's a first. Thank you for the wonderful reviews and for sharing them here. You made it through, and I hope you were happy with Catling's HEA. And a memoir would be my last choice too. It would be sooooo boooorrrrinnng. "I sit on the couch all day, every day, and type. The end."

J.P. Alexander said...

Gracias por las reseñas, te mando un beso.

kimlajevardi.com said...

I wouldn't be interested in a memoir either.

D.L. Finn said...

Great reviews, Sandra :) I have to finish the Rose series and see what happens. I've been wanting to read Sally's book too. Xo

Damyanti Biswas said...

These are some interesting recommendations! Wonderful review, BTW. Thank you for sharing them :D

Sandra Cox said...

Diana, "I sit on the couch all day, every day, and type. The end." You are so funny. Catling's ending was purrfect. Thank you. I fretted for nothing;)
Kim, I hear ya. Well written ones are fascinating, but mine...uh, no.
Denise, You'll love both:)
Damy, Thanks. Great reads, one and all:)

Olga said...

Great reviews, Sandra. I've read plenty of Sally's stories and articles, and have several of Diana's books on my Kindle as well. I am with you on the memoir. It is not something I can see myself writing.