Wednesday, November 2, 2022

IWSG Wednesday

 

The first Wednesday of every month is officially IWSG day. IWSG was formed by Ninja Captain Alex Cavanaugh. Members post about their doubts and fears, discuss struggles and triumphs, and offer words of encouragement to others who are struggling.

 The awesome co-hosts for the November 2 posting of the IWSG are Diedre Knight, Douglas Thomas Greening, Nick Wilford, and Diane Burton!   Thank you.

 

November 2's optional question - November is National Novel Writing Month. Have you ever participated? If not, why not?

 

I think NaNo is great. What wonderful motivation to throw yourself into your writing. Have I participated? Not directly.  Occasionally, a writer bud and I will challenge each other, but my writing remains the same, day in-day out.  Month in-month out. I have a count I shoot for each day and if I’m not writing, I’m editing or researching.  So even though I think NaNo is wonderful, November is just another writing month for me.

 

AND

Authors: Did you know that if you type in a description  IMGCreator will create your image for you? I don't know that much about it, but it's a fascinating concept, especially if you make your own book covers.

 

October/November reviews in no particular order.

Occasional typos do not figure into my reviews.

NATURAL SELECTION. Book 3 of the Dawn of Humanity Series By Jacqui Murray

In the third book of the series, Lucy is again beset with challenges.

Besides Lucy struggling to keep her tribe safe, and free the tribe members that were stolen by an enemy tribe—plenty to grab and hold a reader’s attention—there were substories hurtling through the book with characters I grew to care about. A Canis tracking another Canis to be her mate. A Homotherium kit looking for a pack. And Lucy’s former pack members that have been enslaved and are looking for a way to survive and escape their bonds.

Once again, Ms. Murray has woven prehistory into a lovely, understandable story. One of her signature themes is the blending of different cultures into one tribe. Proving that in spite of our differences we can get along.

On a personal note, I loved that Boah said goodbye. (You’ll know what I’m referring to when you read it.)  And last but not least my favorite quote: “If Night Sun knew, it wasn’t telling.”


Told with her perceptive blend of pre-history and fiction, NATURAL SELECTION is a must read for all Murray fans and prehistory buffs.

This Friday's Weekend Read: NATURAL SELECTION

Available at Amazon

 

LETTING GO: THE DEFIANT SISTERS DUET Book 1 by Jacquie Biggar

 

Ms. Biggar is a USA Today best-selling author and after reading any of her books it’s easy to see why.  She has a way of creating an immediate connection between the reader and her characters. And The Defiant Sisters Duet is no exception.  

This story revolves around two sisters, Renee and Izzy, and the loss of the sister bond. After a family tragedy, Renee cuts and run, leaving Izzy to hold things together on the home front.  But now, a few years later, Renee is back, determined to mend bridges no matter how painful the rebuilding.

It will be interesting to see how the rest of the series plays out. I enjoyed the secondary characters as much as the primary characters, especially Simon’s grandmother who, in spite of fighting age and absentmindedness, comes across as a very astute lady.

Biggar fans are going to love THE DEFIANT SISTERS DUET as will folks who want to settle in with a captivating read. So, grab your beverage of choice, some chocolate and enjoy.

Available at Amazon

 

TRAD:

 

LONG SHADOWS by David Baldacci

 

This is another in the Memory Man series. Baldacci's character—Amos Decker—is fascinating. Decker was a football player that suffers a severe head injury. The results of the trauma to his brain: perfect recall. Though, it’s not quite the gift, you would suppose. He can’t forget anything, especially the brutal deaths of his wife and daughter, which leads him to a crime solving career. Amos sees murder in shades of blue, another result of the injury. He’s also lost his social filter, which doesn’t endear him to a lot of people. In Long Shadows he ends up with a feisty female partner that is as outspoken as he is. This is a great series and this particular novel is excellent.

 

AND

 

 
 


 

23 comments:

Elephant's Child said...

Thanks for the links to yet more books. Drat you.
Colour me awed at your writing productivity and persistence.

Natalie Aguirre said...

That's amazing how you stick to your writing schedule. Glad you enjoyed Jacqui's book.

Geros said...

Thanks for all the links.
Looking forward to reading Jacqui's book while on holiday in Scotland.
near the home of another Lucy - the Lammermuir hills.
Nano might explain why Shakespeare had to run away to London.
Life keeps getting in the way, and next week - no roof.
Write, in a roofless house ? Might be fun..

Deniz Bevan said...

Congratulations to Jacqui and the other authors!
I think it's great that you have a daily writing (and editing and researching habit). If I could keep up the NaNo level momentum yearround, I'd be way more productive!

L. Diane Wolfe said...

I wish I had a writing schedule. I should be able to finish the fourth in my novella series this month though.

Alex J. Cavanaugh said...

I admire those of you with a writing schedule.

Staci Troilo said...

Excellent choice of books to review. Thanks, Sandra.

Nick Wilford said...

If you've already got a rhythm and pattern that works for you, just keep going with that.

Valerie-Jael said...

Nice books. I love Jacqui Murray's books! Hugs, Valerie

Sandra Cox said...

EC, Both great reads. I have no life. Heh.
Natalie, The schedule is loose, very loose:)
Geros, Thanks for stopping by. Enjoy Scotland. You're in for a treat with Jacqui's book.
Deniz, Thanks for the congrats to the Jacqui(e)s. Good luck with NaNo. We'll be looking for a new story from you:)
Diane, Woo Hoo on finishing the fourth in a great series.

Birgit said...

You have a strong writing ethic which is admirable. Wonderful of you to share your insights into these new books.

cleemckenzie said...

Wow! More great reviews of interesting books! You are one busy writer, reader, Sandra.

I enjoyed your latest Western Time Travel! Thanks for the few hours of escape.

Sandra Cox said...

Alex, Mine is a very loose schedule. I just keep at it, till I've got where I'm going.
Staci, They're both winners, aren't they? As is yours and Mae's.
Christine, My pleasure.
Nick, Agreed.
Val, I love Jaqui's too, Val. And she'll be very happy to hear you say that.

Sandra Cox said...

Lee, Thank you so much. I appreciate hearing that.
Thanks, Birgit:) Both books are great.

Douglas Thomas Greening said...

I would seriously love to get into a daily fiction writing habit. I've set a scheduler to prompt me every day at the same time to Write! Think it has only worked twice. Maybe someday.

Thanks for sharing.

Bleubeard and Elizabeth said...

I am quite impressed with your writing ethos and your incredible discipline. You are a wonder. I doubt I would ever be that disciplined again, but I have written what seemed like books for my grad school classes.



Jean Davis said...

I write all year too, but NaNo is my big push to get more writing done that usual and reset my writing routine for the year. It's easy to get lax.

Jeanie said...

I love the concept but it is at a bad time for me each year. Too much other stuff. I wish it was in February or March!

J.Q. Rose said...

I enjoy your wonderful reviews. These stories sound like real winners! No, no on Nano for me.

Sandra Cox said...

Douglas, Finding time to write is challenging isn't it?
Elizabeth, I bet you did do a lot of writing for grad classes.
Jean, Good on you for making the most of Nano.
Jeanie, November is a busy month for sure.
Janet, All excellent reads.
Have a wonderful weekend everyone. Thanks for stopping by.

jbiggar said...

Thank you for the wonderful review, Sandra, and congrats to Jacqui. Her prehistoric series are captivating!

Hilary Melton-Butcher said...

Hi Sandra – Jacqui has been so clever with her Dawn of Humanity series … and I agree her books read easily bringing her stories to life …

Jacquie Biggar's 'The Defiant Sisters Duet' entices me in with the review … should be a fun read … I have to read a David Baldacci sometime …

Good luck to all NaNo entrants … not for me! Cheers Hilary

Sandra Cox said...

Jacquie, You are most welcome. You and Jacqui are amazing authors.
Hils, Both Jacqui(e)s deliver as does Baldacci. Cheers;)