Wednesday, September 4, 2024

IWSG Wednesday AND Did You Know

 


The first Wednesday of every month is officially IWSG day. IWSG was formed by Ninja Captain Alex Cavanaugh. Members post about their doubts and fears, discuss struggles and triumphs, and offer words of encouragement to others who are struggling.

 

Twitter handle: @TheIWSG  

Hashtag: #IWSG 

The awesome co-hosts for the September 4 posting of the IWSG are Beth Camp, Jean Davis, Yvonne Ventresca, and PJ Colando!

Every month, we announce a question that members can answer in their IWSG post. These questions may prompt you to share advice, insight, a personal experience or story. Include your answer to the question in your IWSG post or let it inspire your post if you are struggling with something to say. 

Remember, the question is optional

 

September 4 question - Since it's back to school time, let's talk English class. What's a writing rule you learned in school that messed you up as a writer?

This is a good question, but since school is so far in the rearview mirror for me  that not even a spec is visible, I'm clueless. What was less than a writer-friendly rule for you?

 

AND

Did you know, D. H. Lawrence would climb mulberry trees without a stitch on for inspiration?

 

For more information:

Five Fascinating Facts about D. H. Lawrence – Interesting Literature

AND

August/September Reviews in no particular order

* Disclaimer. If I run into an occasional typo, I ignore them and don't factor them into my review.

 

FAIRIES, MYTHS AND MAGIC: A Summer Celebration by Colleen Chesebro

Is a collection of poetry and short stories deliciously written. The author’s writing as delicate as the fairies she describes.

A few lines that emphasize the author’s talent:

‘Pink fairy slippers tremble in the foggy morning breeze,’

Spiderweb lace dances in the sun, as leafy tree reflections sparkle and shimmer in the waters of the slough.’

‘fingers of green energy ripple and surge with power’

Both the stories and the poetry carry you to the realms of otherworldly possibilities.

Recommended for all that love fantasy, poetry and magic.

Available at Amazon

 

 

SIZE ALWAYS MATTERS by Sally Cronin

This was a fascinating read. It’s a wonderful mesh of autobiography and self-help nonfiction. I’m more of a genre reader, but I loved this book.  It’s geared for folks who are trying to lose weight but it’s about so much more than weight loss alone and beneficial to anyone that wants to live a healthy lifestyle. It touches on calorie intake, exercise, what foods are good for you and which ones aren’t. If you are trying to lose a large amount of weight, how to do it and keep your muscle mass, avoiding the ‘extra-skin overhang’. It breaks down what foods provide what vitamins and minerals. Touches on the Candida fungus. And includes recipes. 

I recommend it to anyone on a weight loss journey and or interested in improving or maintaining their health as they age.  

Kudos to the author.

Available at Amazon

 

BLACKSTONE by Trafton Crandall

Eliza Grant, who has a special hidden gift, has never quite fit in. But she had no idea how easy being an outcast at school actually was until she’s recruited into a secret government military school called Blackstone. Now instead of dealing with being laughed at she’s just trying to stay alive.

This YA Sci-Fi Fantasy is packed with action from beginning to end. The author does a great job of world building and character development. I can’t wait for book two. Recommended for lovers of YA, Sci-Fi, Fantasy or readers that just love a great tale. 

Available at Amazon

 


31 comments:

David M. Gascoigne, said...

I hope that D. H. Lawrence took great care not to snag his dangly bits!

Elephant's Child said...

What a weird place and way to find inspiration. If if worked for him...

Natalie Aguirre said...

I couldn't think of something I learned in school either. You sure read a variety of different books this month. The nonfiction one sounds interesting.

Jamie Ghione said...

OMG! Climbing a tree for inspiration.

Alex J. Cavanaugh said...

I managed to come up with something but like you, English class was a long, long time ago.

Jeanie said...

D.H Lawrence must have been a sight. Hope he didn't get bark burns!

Birgit said...

I always screw up with commas and semi colons etc.. Gra.mar is not my strong suit. DH Lawrence was one strange nut. The fairy book sounds interesting and the last one makes me think of Buffy the Vampire Slayer. Congrats to all who have written their books and got them published.

Computer Tutor said...

I still miss diagramming sentences. Sigh.

Bleubeard and Elizabeth said...

I loved breaking the rules because my teachers always got mad when I proved them wrong. I LOVE starting a sentence with "Because." Drove my teachers mad in grade school, but when I got to high school the teachers were more open minded. Because I was told never to start a sentence with because, I loved starting a sentence with because.

L. Diane Wolfe said...

Hope no one was around when he did that!

Sandra Cox said...

LOL. Indeed.

Sandra Cox said...

Apparently it did. But I don't think I'll be immolating his manner of inspiration anytime soon or at all:)

Ronel Janse van Vuuren said...

Climbing trees isn't my strong suit... I think I'll stick to a walk with my dogs to find inspiration :-)

Ronel visiting for IWSG day Adventures in Audio: Recording and Publishing a Podcast

Sandra Cox said...

It's an excellent book. Very helpful. I think you'd like it.

Sandra Cox said...

I can kind of understand. It would get your blood pumping and your brain cells sparking. Not that I want inspiration that badly;) The without any clothes is the one that stops me cold:) Heh.

Sandra Cox said...

I don't even want to think about how long:)

Citu said...

No lo sabía, geniales libros. Te mando un beso.

Sandra Cox said...

Snort:)

Sandra Cox said...

Commas and homophones are my Achilles heels.
Uh yeah, D. H. Lawrence marched to the beat of his own drum, for sure.
All three reads were great.

Sally Cronin said...

Thanks very much Sandra again for your fabulous review and for sharing here again... so chuffed. ♥

Sandra Cox said...

I had forgotten all about diagramming! Agreed:) That was fun.

Sandra Cox said...

I love that you're an English rebel:) I personally have no problem with starting a sentence with because. Because sometimes, it's just the right thing to do:)

Truedessa said...

The only rule I can think of is the rule of not repeating the same word. Is that even a thing?

Nick Wilford said...

Fascinating fact, I wonder what inspiration that would bring. What an eclectic selection of books, Blackstone sounds good.

Sandra Cox said...

Indeed;)

Sandra Cox said...

Walking with the dogs for inspiration, I like it! :)

Sandra Cox said...

Who'd a thought. Right. All the books were excellent.
Sending you hugs,

Sandra Cox said...

All my pleasure, Sally. This was a grand read.

Sandra Cox said...

Good question, True. I know it's a writing thing. I just don't know if it's an English thing;)

Sandra Cox said...

Good question:) I thoroughly enjoyed Blackstone.

cleemckenzie said...

I'm running far behind in my visits this month. Maybe it's my age that's finally catching up with me. Thanks for the flamingo and the D.H. Lawrence bit of info. That was quite an image!