Wednesday, March 2, 2022

IWSG Wednesday

 


The first Wednesday of every month is officially Insecure Writer’s Support Group day. We post our thoughts, talk about our doubts and the fears we have conquered, and our struggles and triumphs. Hopefully we offer a word of encouragement for others who are struggling.

The awesome co-hosts for the March 2 posting of the IWSG are Janet Alcorn, Pat Garcia, Natalie Aguirre, and Shannon Lawrence!  Thanks, ladies. Much appreciated.

This month’s question: March 2 question - Have you ever been conflicted about writing a story or adding a scene to a story? How did you decide to write it or not?

I’m passing on this one. Anyone else had a conflict on writing a story or scene?

February/March reviews in no particular order.

*Disclaimer. If I run into an occasional typo, I ignore it and don’t factor it into my review.

 


POUR IT ON (Keystone Couples) By Staci Troilo

What a fun novella.

Romy Chandler desperately needs a sommelier. Her restaurant is hosting a meet and greet in a few hours and she needs someone who knows their way around a good wine.

Rick Santucci is looking for outlets to sell wines from his vineyard.

When he walks into Romy’s restaurant, he’s immediately mistaken for an applicant applying for the sommelier job. The mix up that ensues leads to hilarious moments, confusion…and love.

Troilo fans will definitely enjoy this sparkling read.

Available at Amazon.

 

 

 


THE REBEL’S REDEMPTION by Jacquie Biggar

As a hot-tempered youth, Jared Martin left home, hurting the people who loved him best. Now he’s back, only to discover he has an eight-year-old son he knew nothing about.  Unfortunately, trouble comes with him, putting everyone he cares about in danger. To save them, he turns to someone he knows he can rely on, a brother SEAL.

Ms. Biggar does a masterful job of entwining suspense and love in another heart-pounding story in the Wounded Hearts series.

Available at Amazon.

 

 

 

 

 


JUST AN ODD JOB GIRL by Sally Cronin

This was a delightful read about Imogen, a woman in her fifties, who is traded in for a younger model. It’s been years since she worked and has no training to speak of. When she goes to a temp agency and starts reminiscing about past odd jobs, she discovers that she has more to offer than she realized.

Ms. Cronin always breathes life into her characters, making them feel real enough to tumble off the page and say hello😊.

Available at Amazon.

 

 

 

 

 


DIRTY AIR by Joe Congel

Congel has another keeper.

The third book in the Razzman Mystery Crime Files series is every bit as good as the first two. In Dirty Air, Rozzito—a baseball man—finds himself emersed in NASCAR where a favorite driver has been murdered. Just when he and his partner think they’ve got it figured out, the case takes another unexpected twist and keeps the partners—as well as the readers—guessing.

I like Razzman’s partner Scott and his girlfriend Karen, but my favorite character is Scott’s and Tony’s trusty sidekick Vinnie.   He steals the show.

For Razzman devotees, you won’t be disappointed. I thoroughly enjoyed the read and look forward to the next in the series. Keep them coming, Mr. Congel.😊

Available at Amazon.

 



 

66 comments:

Anonymous said...

I love writing, it gives me a great escape, and would love to write a book of my own, but at times when I try to proofread what I have written, it doesn't flow the way I think it should.

Bleubeard and Elizabeth said...

I love a good mystery and Dirty Air sounds fun to me.

As for the question, I am NOT a writer, but as a blogger, I have been conflicted about writing a story on my blog because it is probably something very personal that probably should have remained private.

Hilary Melton-Butcher said...

Hi Sandra - some interesting sounding reads - we need escapes at the moment. Good luck to all authors and bloggers writing posts ... cheers Hilary

Natalie Aguirre said...

Loved to see what you're reading. I like mysteries and will try to check out Dirty Air.

Jennifer Hawes said...

I love mysteries too! I don't really run into that kind of conflict in my writing.

L. Diane Wolfe said...

I tend to avoid the conflict.

Jeanie said...

I had issues with that when people in the family were contributing memories to the family history book. I did my best to incorporate most but was also careful that it didn't become a vengeance fest! You can reveal those feelings without the whole story.

Alex J. Cavanaugh said...

Last one sounds cool.

Sally Cronin said...

Thanks so much for sharing your review here too Sandra... Lovely to see Imogen get some love..♥

Valerie-Jael said...

Some fun books on the programme again! Hugs, Valerie

Janet Alcorn said...

Thanks for sharing your reviews! These books sound like fun reads.

Sandra Cox said...

Writing is a great escape, isn't it, Lon?
And the flow thing...we all experience it. Go for it;)

Sandra Cox said...

Indeed. You have to walk a fine line on family history, don't you, Jeanie?

Computer Tutor said...

And I'm left pondering NASCAR and Dirty Air. Hmmm... Very intriguing.

C.D. Gallant-King said...

That's a lot of reading in a lot of genres. You're prolific AND open-minded!

Sandra Cox said...

DIRTY AIR is definitely a fun read:)
I hear ya on how much to disclose on a blog. Another fine line.

Sandra Cox said...

Good movies, series and books. My go-to escapes.
Cheers, Hils.

Sandra Cox said...

Good on you, Natalie:) I really enjoy this series. Joe's created a great character. I'm sure you made his day:)

R's Rue said...

I just got some new reads. Thank you.

Sandra Cox said...

Mysteries are great reads, aren't they, Jennifer?

Sandra Cox said...

That works;)

Christine said...

Thanks for the reviews!

Sandra Cox said...

It is, for sure:)

Sandra Cox said...

My pleasure, Sally. Imogen was all kinds of fun:)

Sandra Cox said...

Thanks for taking the time to stop by and read them, Christine.

Pat Hatt said...

No conflicts here. Sounds like some winners there indeed.

Nas said...

Thanks for your reviews. Some good books there.

cleemckenzie said...

It's always interesting to see what someone is reading. Thanks for the book list, Sandra.

D.L. Finn said...

I don't know if I've been conflicted, but definitely frustrated! Great reviews :) I loved Pour it On and The Rebel's Redemption. I have Just an Odd Job Girl and the first PI story on my TBR list.

Sandra Cox said...

Entirely my pleasure, Lee. Thanks for stopping by.

Sandra Cox said...

For sure:)
Good to see you (in a cyber sense:)

Sandra Cox said...

Intriguing, indeed:)
It's a good series.

Joan Hall said...

Nice selection of reviews, Sandra.

Anonymous said...

Yes, Sandra, writing truly does allow me to escape!

Have a lovely night!

John Howell said...

super reviews, Sandra

Gwen Plano said...

Wonderful reviews, Sandra. I've read the first three books and enjoyed each one very much. Thank you for sharing.

Adam said...

Happy Wednesday

Sandra Cox said...

I don't know if I've been conflicted, but definitely frustrated!--I love that.
All good choices:)
xo

Sandra Cox said...

Glad you think so, Val:)
Hugs received and returned.

J.P. Alexander said...

Gracias por la reseña y si me ha pasado que no me revisor hacer una escena muy erótica. Te mando un beso.

Sandra Cox said...

They are for sure, Janet.
Thanks for co-hosting this month.

Sandra Cox said...

Thanks, C.D. They were all well-told tales. AND Thanks for stopping by.

Sandra Cox said...

Yay:)

Sandra Cox said...

You bet, Nas:) All enjoyable reads.

Sandra Cox said...

Thanks, Joan. I enjoyed all four stories. AND thanks for stopping by:)

Sandra Cox said...

Thanks, John. AND thanks for stopping by.

Sandra Cox said...

They were great, weren't they, Gwen?

Sandra Cox said...

And to you, Adam.

Sandra Cox said...

Thanks, J.P.
Some people like erotic romance others not so much.
Sending you a hug,

Annalisa Crawford said...

Some interesting new releases, thanks for sharing.

I'm always conflicted when I write. When I was writing Grace & Serenity, I worried if I was throwing too much horror Grace's way, but found I couldn't stop myself in the end.

Jan Sikes said...

Fantastic reviews, Sandra!! Thank you for sharing. I've read "Pour It On," and loved it. Jacquie's book is on my Kindle waiting. I know I am going to love reading about Jared. A great selection of books!

Birgit said...

That question must have stirred up emotions. I can see that for sure when I think of my conflict in just writing my music post. Considering what’s going on in Ukraine because of Omni -impotent Puddin’, I decided not to use the song , “Springtime for Hitler”. It’s very funny and Mel Brooks is Jewish who finds it best to condemn The Nazi regime by making fun of it. Anyway, that is so nice of you to discuss all these books. I enjoyed the synopsis and like the humorous romance one and a good mystery.

B. Weeks said...

Wonderful reviews, Sandra. Thanks for sharing your thoughts.

Sandra Cox said...

Thanks, Annalisa. Good stories one and all.
That would be a tough decision, but I'm guessing Grace is strong enough to deal with the extra horror.

Sandra Cox said...

Thanks, Jan:) Pour It On was a fun read.
I'm hearing all good things about your latest....:)

Sandra Cox said...

Thanks, Birgit. Good on you for putting such thought into your post, and taking into consideration the current situation.
Have a great one.

Sandra Cox said...

You are most welcome. Thanks so much for stopping by;)

Joe Congel said...

Hi Sandra! Thank you for including my book, Dirty Air. I’m going to take a crack at your question - I was extremely conflicted when writing a couple of the scenes in my first book, Dead is Forever. I have two different scenes where my MC finds himself involved sexually with a woman. I think overall I handled the scenes well but I still agonize over them to this day. Because of that, it’s the only book in the series that I included a bit more detail as to what was happening. In the other books I simply imply any lovemaking. However, I’ve come to believe that the way I wrote those scenes in the first book was necessary based on the turmoil that the MC was going through. And now I feel it’s more tasteful writing it as implied based on the evolution the MC has gone through in the books that followed. Thanks again for including Dirty Air this month! :)

Sandra Cox said...

You did a fine job on Dead is Forever. No worries there.
Dirty Air is another winner:)

Staci Troilo said...

I tried repeatedly to comment yesterday, but my phone just WOULD NOT let me. Hopefully this goes through today.

Jacquie and I have been reviewed at the same time on different sites recently, and it's always an honor to be included with her. Bonus to me on this post, as I was listed among so many talented authors. Thank you so much for this lovely review, Sandra. It made my day. (Twice now, actually. �� ) Hugs.

J.Q. Rose said...

Thanks for introducing us to what sounds like entertaining reads.

jbiggar said...

I loved Staci and Sally and of course, YOUR books! I have trouble with intimate scenes, but in romance novels they're sometimes necessary :)
Thanks so much for the awesome review!

Sandra Cox said...

Hi Staci,
Blogger is just so very temperamental.
All four of you did a wonderful job of storytelling. Kudos. Looking forward to my next Troilo read:)

Sandra Cox said...

My pleasure, Cuz. Glad you stopped by.

Sandra Cox said...

Right there with you on intimate scenes.
Thanks for the awesome read:)

Staci Troilo said...

You're good for my ego, Sandra. Thank you.