Wednesday, July 5, 2023

 


The first Wednesday of every month is officially IWSG day. IWSG was formed by Ninja Captain Alex Cavanaugh. Members post about their doubts and fears, discuss struggles and triumphs, and offer words of encouragement to others who are struggling.

 

Twitter handle: @TheIWSG  

Hashtag: #IWSG.

The awesome co-hosts for the July 5 posting of the IWSG are PJ Colando, Kim Lajevardi, Gwen Gardner, Pat Garcia, and Natalie Aguirre!  Woot! Woot!

Every month, we announce a question that members can answer in their IWSG post. These questions may prompt you to share advice, insight, a personal experience or story. Include your answer to the question in your IWSG post or let it inspire your post if you are struggling with something to say. 

Remember, the question is optional!

July 5 question - 99% of my story ideas come from dreams. Where do yours predominantly come from?

I’ve been trying to nail that one down for years. I still can’t answer it.

June/July Reviews in no particular order.

* Disclaimer. If I run into an occasional typo, I ignore them and don't factor them into my review.

 

PERFECTLY IMPERFECT by Jacquie Biggar, USA Today best-selling author

Georgina’s company is in financial straits, so she’s sold the majority of shares to the large conglomerate CLO with the hopes of saving it.

Unknown to Georgina, Rhys Turner has been sent from CLO to get the company in shape, not to hold on to it,  but to sell it at a profit. But Rhys didn’t count on Georgina or his reaction to her. Conflicted, he has a decision to make.

Once again Ms. Biggar has created a fun romp with lots of comedic relief, loveable characters, and emotions that tug at the heartstrings. I’m a Jacqui Biggar fan and as with all Ms. Biggar’s stories, I highly recommend this one. 

Available at Amazon

 

 

 

TRADS

 

STRANGER IN PARADISE by Robert Parker

This is number seven in the Jesse Stone series. The stories are quick easy reads, that hold my attention. This one reintroduces Crowe, a criminal from a former story. Only this time, Crowe and Jesse are working together to bring down the bad guys.  On to number eight.

 

NIGHT AND DAY by Robert Parker

This is number eight and based around a peeping tom. Like the rest of the series, it's entertaining and an easy read. 

 

 

 

 

 

 

APPALOOSA by Robert Parker

This is the first in the Virgil Cole/Everett Hitch series. I’m still trying to decide what I thought of this one. Interesting . Well written .  Well developed characters .  And let me say, even though I write them, I don’t read a lot of Westerns. But this was more gritty than what I expect from the genre. The F word was thrown around and not that I have a problem with it, if used sparingly, it’s not what I expect from a Western.

In this story, the itinerant peacemakers must deal with a rancher who has taken over the town of Appaloosa. AND in true Parker fashion, one of our heroes falls for the wrong woman.

At this point, I’m not sure if I’ll read anymore of the series or not.

 

SPLIT IMAGE by Robert Parker

There's always something interesting going on in Paradise. This time it's two murdered members of the mob.

One of the things I love about this series is the repartee among the characters. It's always amusing.

On to book 10.

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

THE ASSET (Book 1), THE RUSSIAN (Book 2) and THE TARGET (Book 3) by Saul Herzog

This is an extremely powerful political thriller series with a lot of focus on Russia and the tension between Russia and the United States. There is also a lot of Russian history sprinkled throughout the book as we follow the protagonist, Lance Spector, a CIA assassin, from one dangerous situation to another. These books are intense enough I had to take a break from them before I move on to the third. And the protagonists are all seriously flawed.

What really intrigues me is the novelist, a highly successful trad author writing under a pseudonym, with no information on his true identity.

My husband and I think we’ve figured it out😉.  Who do you think Saul Herzog really is?

 

 

 


18 comments:

Elephant's Child said...

This reader thanks writers. Each and every one of you.

Valerie-Jael said...

You've listed some good books there! Hugs, Valerie

Natalie Aguirre said...

I don't get my ideas from dreams either. The Robert Parker series looks good. I always like to see what you're reading.

L. Diane Wolfe said...

If you still don't know where they come from then it really doesn't matter anyway. As long as they come.

Christine said...

Good question, and I don't often remember my dreams unless it is particularly a bad one.

Donna said...

Saul Herzog? Definitely an AI plant...a Super Soldier from some obscure planet...Lol
Beats me but I appreciate your letting us know about the series!
hugs
Donna

cleemckenzie said...

A perfect answer to this month's question!

Alex J. Cavanaugh said...

I review movies, you review books! We've got it covered.

Computer Tutor said...

After talking with you, I also read Appaloosa. I enjoyed it--what I expected from Robert Parker. Others in the series when someone else wrote them--not so much. I'm probably done with the series. A few of the ongoing plot points just didn't make sense as they unfolded in future books.

PJ Colando said...

Ideas from the sky, the earth, the sea - it's all good, all the time. We writers don't care where they come from... as long as they come. May your well never go dry, Sandra!

Sandra Cox said...

EC, We thank you:)
Val, Have you read any of the authors?
Thanks, Natalie, I'm enjoying the Jesse Stone series.
Di, Agreed:)
Right there with ya, Christine.

Jeanie said...

Since when I write it's non-fiction, they come from real life!

J.P. Alexander said...

Gracias por las recomendaciones. Te mando un beso.

Bleubeard and Elizabeth said...

I'm not a real writer like you, Sandra, but I dabble in a bit of fiction in my spare time. I get my characters from people watching and my ideas from observing their mannerisms.

I love Jesse Stone. I love how flawed he is, yet so sensitive, too. I enjoy all his books, but have never read anything else by Parker.

D.L. Finn said...

I get some of my ideas from dreams. Great reviews, they all look good! I did read Jacquie's and never disappointed with her books! Xo

Birgit said...

I can see a book idea come from dreams but also from many other places or things. It's whatever grabs us.
Appaloosa was made I to a movie starring Wd Harris, Viggo Mortensen and Renee Zellweger. It's quirky but enjoyable. Good synopses on the books

Sandra Cox said...

Donna, Heh. Now there's a thought. Hugs received and returned.
Thanks, Lee. I've never figured that one out:)
Alex, We do, don't we.
Jacqui, Parker had his own style for sure didn't he. I'm starting the first of the Stone series not written by Parker. We'll see how that goes.
PJ, From your mouth to my muse's ear:)

Sandra Cox said...

Jeanie, Can't beat real life:)
J.P. You bet. Sending you hugs.
Hi Elizabeth,Good one you.Is there a particular genre you write in? I keep waiting for Boomer to show up in one of the Stone books;)
Denise, And your dreams turn into wonderful stories:)xo
Birgit, Yeah. Parker's Jesse Stone has also been made into a series. When Appaloosa first came out, I was disappointed it wasn't about a horse:)