Wednesday, August 2, 2023

IWSG Wednesday

 


The first Wednesday of every month is officially IWSG day. IWSG was formed by Ninja Captain Alex Cavanaugh. Members post about their doubts and fears, discuss struggles and triumphs, and offer words of encouragement to others who are struggling.

 

Twitter handle: @TheIWSG  

Hashtag: #IWSG.

The awesome co-hosts for the August 2 posting of the IWSG are Kate Larkinsdale, Diane Burton, Janet Alcorn, and Shannon Lawrence!

Every month, we announce a question that members can answer in their IWSG post. These questions may prompt you to share advice, insight, a personal experience or story. Include your answer to the question in your IWSG post or let it inspire your post if you are struggling with something to say. 

Remember, the question is optional!

August 2 question: Have you ever written something that afterwards you felt conflicted about? If so, did you let it stay how it was, take it out, or rewrite it?


 


 

July/August Reviews in no particular order

 

* Disclaimer. If I run into an occasional typo, I ignore them and don't factor them into my review.

 

 

SOUL SWALLOWERS by D. Wallace Peach

In her usual poetic style— “A crimson fire snapped in the hearth, the room overly warm, air thick despite a blustery rain tapping insistent fingers on the windowpanes.”—Ms. Peach has created another page-turning fantasy about a young man who blames the death of his wife on his father and brother.

As always, the world building is exemplary and the characters are folks we’d like to get to know.

Intrigued by the title? That’s exactly what this tale is based on. Folks that swallow souls to gain knowledge or fighting skills or altogether different abilities. But beware, swallowing too many souls can make the swallower go mad.

SOUL SWALLOWERS is the first of a duology. I’m a D. Wallace Peach follower and definitely looking forward to the second read.

Available at Amazon

 

LEGACY OF SOULS by D. Wallace Peach

Raze wants nothing but peace for him and his, but political intrigue, power and greed interfere. To fight for those he cares about he must swallow another soul.

In this story, the author has built a world the reader can step into and characters we either love or hate. Ms. Peach has created the ultimate villain in Benjmur. Except for the love he has for his daughter, the man is pure evil.

As always, the author’s words swirl with description. “Oarsmen fought the chop, and plumes of silver spray joined with the morning fog, swallowing the vessel in a cloud of wetness.”

Tension builds till the end at which point the author wraps the story up nicely with a large red bow.

Available at Amazon

 

TRADS

 

KILLING THE BLUES by Michael Brandman

This is the tenth book in the Jesse Stone series. I didn’t know what to expect because this is a different author. But Brandman did a great job. Jesse’s character and Dix’s remained the same. Molly’s changed a little. A bit more of the TV version’s character. In the TV series, Stone nearly always has a dog, which hasn’t appeared yet in the books. Though Mildred Memory the cat—who I haven’t seen on the television series—makes an appearance and is a welcome addition. I thoroughly enjoyed this one. On to number eleven.

Available at Amazon

 

FOOL ME TWICE by Michael Brandman

This series just keeps getting better and better.
Michael Brandman has done an excellent job taking over for Robert Parker.

 

DAMNED IF YOU DO by Michael Brandman

I loved Brandman's take on Jesse Stone (and the introduction of Mildred Memory, which took place in book #10). This story was no exception. Damned if You Do is the last book Brandman writes and it's the last of the series I'm reading.

I started the next of the series, with a new author, but it just didn't click for me, so I stopped reading.  Plus, he took Mildred Memory out of the book and that didn't work for me either.

 

Read any good books lately?

 


 

 

22 comments:

Elephant's Child said...

What an intriguing ISWG question.
I think that the original Robert Parker books are better. I have read a couple written by other author's but they didn't quite cut it for me.

Bleubeard and Elizabeth said...

I also preferred the original Stone books that Parker wrote, but I did enjoy Mildred Memory. What I loved about Parker's books was each of the dogs found him and became an integral part of the plot.

Natalie Aguirre said...

I haven't read any Parker books, but you've got me curious about the original ones and the tv show.

Alex J. Cavanaugh said...

I'll have to look for those first two books.

Sonia Dogra said...

Hello. Interesting preview of the books there. A very intriguing story line. Thank you for the post.

Hilary Melton-Butcher said...

Hi Sandra - certainly write on ... but only blogposts ... I do like Jesse Stone on tv ... I haven't read the books. I'm reading other things - as I do - cheers Hilary

L. Diane Wolfe said...

I've re-read a lot for editing purposes if that counts.

D. Wallace Peach said...

Wow, Sandra, thanks for the TWO reviews! That was a special treat. I'm glad you enjoyed the duology. I have a particular fondness for Raze, and I really disliked Benjmur too. Thank you for reading. I'm honored. Have a wonderful Wednesday, my friend. Hugs.

Diane Burton said...

I'm always hesitant to read a novel written by someone other than the original author. I'll have to check out D. Wallace Peach's books. Thanks for sharing.

Sandra Cox said...

EC, It is an intriguing question,isn't it. I did like Bradman's take on Jesse Stone's character. For me, he took Parker's creation and added a layer. Coleman, not so much.

Sandra Cox said...

Elizabeth, I was totally disgusted with Coleman's callus disregard of Mildred Memory.
The dogs certainly added to the TV series.
Natalie, Let me know if you try it and what you think.
Sonia, Thanks so much for stopping by.

Computer Tutor said...

I loved the Jesse Stone novels, watched all the movies (on Netflix I think--or somewhere for free). I haven't tried this new writer but based on your review, might give it a try.

Christine said...

Thanks for shariing!

Sandra Cox said...

Hils, It's a great series, isn't it? Read on:)
Di, Editing definitely counts:)
Diana, Reading your books is always my pleasure:)
Diane, I hear ya on that. I think you'll enjoy Diana's books. She's an excellent author. Thanks for co-hosting.
Jacqui, I like Brandman, in fact I just ordered one of his books I'm anxious to start. Also starting Parker's Spencer series, which I believe you've read.
Christine, You bet:)

Nasreen said...

I haven't as yet come across any Parker books. But sounds intriguing. I would look for them now.

Jeanie said...

Yes. Mostly in journals. I felt less conflicted about what I wrote than the effect it might have if someone read it.

Elizabeth Seckman said...

What a lot of great stuff you have in one post!

Hiya! How have you been? :)

J.P. Alexander said...

Gracias por l as recomendaciones. Te mando un beso.

Birgit said...

I am reading quite. Few magazines on WW2 heroes, Anne Frank but I am reading a good book on Cary Grant. You have been busy!

Sandra Cox said...

Nas, He left quite a legacy of stories. Let me know what you think if you try him:)
Jeanie, Writing a memoir brings its own set of challenges, doesn't it?
Elizabeth, Hey Stranger. So good to hear from you. We be perking along here. Hope everything is great on your end.
Birgit, Cary Grant was fascinating, wasn't he?

J.Q. Rose said...

Oh my goodness, I am writing this 16 days after IWSG Day and I had to scroll through 17 days of your outstanding memes and photos and oh my! What an inventory you share here PLUS the great reviews of the books. Love your site's format. So upbeat and fun. Thanks for sharing a feel-good website, cuz!

Sandra Cox said...

Hey Cuz, Glad you made it and thanks for the kind words.