Wednesday, January 3, 2024

IWSG Day

 


The first Wednesday of every month is officially IWSG day. IWSG was formed by Ninja Captain Alex Cavanaugh. Members post about their doubts and fears, discuss struggles and triumphs, and offer words of encouragement to others who are struggling.

 

Twitter handle: @TheIWSG  

Hashtag: #IWSG

 

The awesome co-hosts for the January 3 posting of the IWSG are Joylene Nowell Butler, Olga Godim, Diedre Knight, and Natalie Aguirre!

Every month, we announce a question that members can answer in their IWSG post. These questions may prompt you to share advice, insight, a personal experience or story. Include your answer to the question in your IWSG post or let it inspire your post if you are struggling with something to say. 

Remember, the question is optional
January 3 question: Do you follow back your readers on BookBub or do you only follow back other authors?

Instead of responding, I’m going to ask the readers out there, if you follow an author would you like to have them follow you back?

 

December/January Reviews in no particular order.

* Disclaimer. If I run into an occasional typo, I ignore them and don't factor them into my review.

 

THE EDGE OF TOO LATE by Jan Sikes

A romantic getaway turns dangerous.

Brandon Miller is in love, but Angela Cooper, the girl of his dreams, has already had a bad marriage and doesn’t want to chance a repeat. Hoping to change her mind, Brandon plans a romantic getaway at Harbor Pointe. But what should be an idyllic weekend turns deadly and love must take a backseat when lives are on the line.

This is the fifth story in the series and like its predecessors, it’s a well-told tale. The characters are relatable, the scenery is lush and the pacing is just right. It held my interest all the way through.

If you’ve been following this series, number five won’t disappoint.

 

TRAD:

THE COLD DISH Book 1 in the Longmire Series by Craig Johnson

DEATH WITHOUT COMPANY Book 2

KINDNESS GOES UNPUNISHED Book 3

ANOTHER MAN’S MOCCASINS Book 4

THE DARK HORSE Book 5

JUNKYARD DOGS Book 6

HELL IS EMPTY Book 7

AS THE CROW FLIES Book 8

I don’t know what I’m going to do when we (the HH and I) finish this series. As you can see, I’m hooked. Longmire is such a well-developed character. Strong, caring, and self-depreciating. And his best friend, Henry Standing Bear is just as well-developed and another much loved figure. Both men know how to take care of themselves and those around them. Johnson has also done a wonderful job of world-building. The reader feels like they could step foot in Walt’s town and known the folks strolling down the street. 

This is an extremely well-done series. It will appeal if you like a modern-day Western mystery or just a well-told tale. And yes, I’ve overused the word well😉

 


 

 

 

 

22 comments:

Elephant's Child said...

Hooray for writers. And particularly those who can hold my attention for book after book. I don't have the temerity to follow authors and wouldn't expect them to follow back.

Adam said...

Happy new year

nashvillecats2 said...

Happy New Year Sandra, it is lovely if people read one's books and of course continue to do so, also interesting to see what they write .
Take care.
Yvonne.

Natalie Aguirre said...

I'm glad to hear you like the Longmire series. I watched it on Netflix and really liked it. I'll have to check out the books too.

Alex J. Cavanaugh said...

I think I follow everyone but I haven't visited BookBub in a while.

Ronel Janse van Vuuren said...

The first book sounds intriguing!

Ronel visiting for IWSG day An Author’s Goals for 2024

Joylene Nowell Butler said...

Excellent switch in this month's question. I don't expect to hear back from an author, but when I do, I'm pleasantly pleased, and I'm telling anyone who'll listen. Happy New Year, Sandra!

Kinga K. said...

Have a great year :D

L. Diane Wolfe said...

If I were on BookBub, I'd like an author to follow me back.

Christine said...

Thanks for sharing

Nancy Gideon said...

LOVED Longmire the series. Now I'm thinking I should invest in the books to keep me warm under the covers reading this winter.

Sandra Cox said...

EC, Any author would be honored by your follow:)
Yvonne, How grand to hear from you. Wishing you a wonderful 2024.
Thanks, Adam. And to you.
Natalie, I loved the Longmire series on Netflix but I think I might like the books better. The characters are more richly developed. Thanks for co-hosting;)
Alex, Good to know. Thanks.

cleemckenzie said...

I follow people who like to read and write, and if they're readers, I hope they're also often writers.

Like you, a typo isn't a make-or-break issue when I review. I've seen typos in some of the big four books out there. Writers and editors are human...for now. Maybe those occasional typos will separate out the books done by people from those generated by AI. :-)

My new address: https://substack.com/@cleemckenzie

Birgit said...

You are always giving to your fellow authors which is great. I do try and follow back:)

Computer Tutor said...

Love the Longmire series, some more than others. And--Harbor Pointe is a winner--every one of the books!

J.Q. Rose said...

Always appreciate your book reviews. Thanks for sharing. I like the Longmire series on TV. You have inspired me to look up the books. I think your Westerns would make a great TV series. It's about time for Westerns to come into their own again. But noone can beat the Lone Ranger!! :-) Happy New Year, cuz!

Pat Hatt said...

I usually try to follow most back on things. Usually lol

J.P. Alexander said...

Gracias por las recomendaciones. te mando un beso.

Sandra Cox said...

Ronel, It's a good one as is the rest of the series. Happy 2024.
Diane, Agreed;) Happy New Year.
Thanks, Kinga, and you:)
Happy New Year, Joylene. Thanks for co-hosting. Happy 2024.
Christine, Entirely my pleasure. Happy 2024.

Sandra Cox said...

Nancy, If you liked the tv series, I think you'd really enjoy the books:) Happy Holidays. Thanks for stopping by.
Lee, That's a thought for sure about AI:) Happy Holidays.
Birgit, It takes a village:) Happy Holidays.
Jacqui, You're right. The whole Pointe Series is great. Coming up with that series was inspired. Happy 2024.
Hey Cuz, That's a lovely thing to say about my Westerns and who could top the Lone Ranger;)
Pat, I hear ya:) I tried to leave a message at your blog, but google in its infinite wisdom. Wouldn't let me.
J.P. You are most welcome. Happy 2024. Sending you hugs,

Jan Sikes said...

I apologize for being late to this party as I've been on a blog break through the holidays. But I saw this on Twitter and am thrilled that you read and reviewed The Edge of Too Late!! Much appreciated!

Neurotic Workaholic said...

I've never heard of BookBub before but I don't really mind if people don't follow me back; I follow a lot of people on Instagram who don't follow me back. What bothers me is when people follow me but then immediately unfollow if I don't follow back.