Wednesday, July 29, 2009

Stephenie Meyer's Twilight Series

The Twilight Series

Whew! I've finally finished the Twilight Series. My life is again my own. I haven't been this wrapped up in a book--or several books--in years. My writing, feeding the birds, cleaning the litter boxes everything has been on hold. I did manage to drag myself into work:)
Stephenie Meyer is amazing. She has created a world that feels completely real and has managed to make the creating look deceptively easy. And even though you think you know where the story is going she has so many twists, turns and side roads you're never completely certain how its going to end.

Today's writing is often styled in almost bullet-like bites so as not to lose a busy, impatient audience. But Ms. Meyer's takes the time to describe everything: emotions, surroundings, clothes, scents, styles, accessories, and atmosphere. And she does it in such a way that we aren't bogged down, fidgeting in our seats with all this information, but sucked in by it, absorbing it.
She has taken a now-common theme--vampires and werewolves--and placed her own unique and appealing spin on it, creating characters that are brought to life for the reader: a complex vampire (several actually), a teenage young woman strongly drawn to someone who's not human, and perhaps one of the most endearing secondary characters of all, a small town sheriff, with simple interests and a deep love for his daughter.
Ms. Meyer has managed to weave all the basic strands of a story together--plot, character, emotion--and come up with a bestseller.
Have you read the series yet? If not, I highly recommend it. I don't think you'll be disappointed.

2 comments:

Unknown said...

I was beginning to think we were going to have to stage a Twilight intervention for you

Sandra Cox said...

grin