Wednesday, August 3, 2022

IWSG Wednesday

 

 

The first Wednesday of every month is officially IWSG day. IWSG was formed by Ninja Captain Alex Cavanaugh. Members post about their doubts and fears, discuss struggles and triumphs, and offer words of encouragement to others who are struggling.

The awesome co-hosts for the August 3 posting of the IWSG are Tara Tyler, Lisa Buie Collard, Loni Townsend, and Lee Lowery!  Thanks, folks.


August 3 question - When you set out to write a story, do you try to be more original or do you try to give readers what they want?

When I write a story, I'm hoping my readers want original.

AND

July/August Reviews in no particular order.

* Disclaimer. If I run into an occasional typo, I ignore them and don't factor them into my review.

 

THE SISTER PACT: HOME IS WHERE THE HEART IS by Jacquie Biggar

Holly Tremaine is sick. A fact she’s kept from her dysfunctional family.

After being betrayed by her boyfriend and sister, Holly left town and never looked back. Now she wants to heal the rift with her family and heads home.

Her homecoming is rocky. She and her sister are at odds and her parents aren’t getting along. Thrown into the mix is Levi, Holly’s ex boyfriend’s twin who she definitely shares chemistry and history with.

There are plenty of obstacles thrown in her path for a reconciliation with her family and a lot of tension-filled moments with the handsome Levi. All of which, the author scoops up and weaves into a very satisfying HEA.

Ms. Biggar has an amazing talent for breathing life into her characters and making the reader forget the protagonists aren’t real people and that the reader hasn’t physically stepped into the story.

I was so enthralled with this tale I read it one sitting. Another winner for the author.

Available at Amazon.

 

 

AFTERMATH by Jeff DeMarco

As the name implies, AFTERMATH takes place after the world has been decimated. Most of the population live in domes. Many have Armed Robotic Crafts that are piloted by the humans that own them. The governments: corporations. And isn’t that a chilling thought?

Colin Willard, heir to Imperial Geo Industries, is determined to reverse the damage his family has caused but he’s unprepared for the burden of power and how it will affect his plans. He soon finds out that everything isn’t black and white but varying shades of gray. Now, he must decide whether to forge on against harsh odds or become part of the system he’s fought against all his life.

This is a well-written, thought-provoking sci fi thriller. DeMarco has built a world that strikes close to home with its environmentally-challenged dystopia. Pointing out the horrors that await us if we don’t make a serious effort to save the planet AND a reminder for people of power to keep their greed in check.

This book is highly recommended for those who love sci fi post-apocalyptic thrillers. Kudos to DeMarco on a well-told tale.

Available at Amazon .

 

OATHBREAKERS’ GUILD, THE ROSE SHIELD BOOK TWO by D. Wallace Peach

Caught up in political intrigue and danger, Catling now serves the queen.  She’s made deadly enemies but offset them with two close friends. Things go horribly awry when she goes after the man who destroyed her family and is threatening the throne.

This is the second book of the series and like all other D. Wallace Peach stories, it is filled with fantasy, exciting worlds, complex characters and an ending that leaves the reader wanting more. I look forward to book three.

Available at Amazon .

 

 

 

TALES FROM THE IRISH GARDEN by Sally Cronin

Once again Ms. Cronin creates a heartwarming story for the young-at-heart.

Queen Magia must move her court from her beloved Spain to Ireland. In the process she encounters love, new friendships and magical challenges that the author tells in vivid detail bringing the story to life.

I can picture this story in a beautifully illustrated hardcover. Though, I need to add, it does have lovely black and white drawings. For folks that are Sally Cronin fans you won’t be disappointed in TALES FROM THE IRISH GARDEN. And if you happen to read this while sitting under your favorite shade tree, keep a look out for fairies.  You just never know when one might pop out.

Available at Amazon

 

Shelley Ward is a beautiful woman with a quick wit and fighting spirt, but absolutely no sense of self-worth. Then she bumps into an old high school classmate at the airport, where she’s just been thrown off the plane by a flight attendant whose husband cheated on her with Shelley, and her world begins to revolve again, as she fights to find her place in it.

Done in Ms. Seckman’s quick-witted style ABOUT HER holds interest from beginning to end. A must read for Seckman fans.

Available at Amazon

 

 

 

Trad:

JAMES MADISON A LIFE RECONSIDERED by Lynne Cheney

This is a well-written, well-researched biography of James Madison that touches on his poor health, his marriage to Dolley, his intelligence, patriotism and how he fought to hold a newly established country together. Like the presidents before him, he abhorred slavery yet kept slaves.  He was also the writer of the second amendment, which some of us may appreciate and some of us may wish he would have clarified that he was writing about state militias—versus a professional army—protecting the United States. That aside, he was an excellent writer and was heavily relied on for the writing of the U.S. Constitution and the Bill of Rights. Recommended for history buffs, especially those interested in the early days of our country.

 

AND

 

FYI: Please note. TCK Publishing has been hacked. If you receive an invoice from them that you know is not yours, do not open. Delete.

 

AND


If so, just leave a comment or drop me a line in the form box on the right. Thanks!

 

AND 

 

So what about you? Read any good books this month? Written any...... 

 



 

 

 

29 comments:

Elephant's Child said...

Congratulations on having yet another book about to be released. Yes, I can help.

Valerie-Jael said...

You always have a great selection of books. I never stop reading, I just need it! Hugs, Valerie

Natalie Aguirre said...

Thanks for sharing about books you've been reading. The one that you read in one sitting must be good. And I'd be glad to share about your new release in my Follower News.

Alex J. Cavanaugh said...

Sucks they got hacked.
Elizabeth will be happy to see you enjoyed her book.

Liza said...

Whew! Lots of reading. Thank you for the reviews.

Sandra Cox said...

EC, Thanks so much for offering to help get the word out. Appreciate ya:)
Natalie, Sister Pact was emotionally gripping. Thanks for your offer to help me get the word out. Appreciate it.
Alex, It does indeed suck. We have to take care of our Elizabeth;)

Jeanie said...

Since I'm more an artist than any kind of story author, it's still the same concept. I do both. Sometimes I play and paint just for me and if it's good enough or interesting enough to sell, yay. But I probably wouldn't be painting a lot of bookmarks this summer if I didn't know they would be easy sells at my November sale. Same with how I choose to print the photo notecards. There are ones I will print that I just use for me -- they won't sell but are meaningful. And if I have a bird or garden or Paris on it, it'll sell.

J.Q. Rose said...

What a variety of wonderful stories! I like seeing books by IWSG authors. Congrats on your upcoming release! I would love to shout about it on my blog and in my newsletter. Pleasesend me the propaganda for the book.

Sandra Cox said...

Thanks, Cuz:) Appreciate ya.

Hilary Melton-Butcher said...

Hi Sandra - lots of recommendations here ... and you're great at supporting other authors ... and as you say 'Keep Writing, never stop' - mind you I can't see you doing that! Cheers Hilary

Computer Tutor said...

However it is you pick your topics, don't change. For me, they're always spot on.

And the reviews--love those books though there are a few I haven't read. Hmm...

L. Diane Wolfe said...

I'll help!

cleemckenzie said...

You've been busy reading, I see.

Congrats on the new book. I'm taking a break in September and the first part of October, but after that I'm available to help out.

Sandra Cox said...

Liza, So many books. So little time;)
Lee, Thanks so much. Appreciate it.
Thanks, Di. That would be a great help.
Jacqui, Reeling and clutching my heart. You've found a book you haven't read?
Hils, Heh. Thanks:)
Jeanie, Yes. The same concept applies to artists, doesn't it?
Val, Reading is right up there with oxygen and coffee, isn't it?

Adam said...

Quality over demand

Christine said...

I like your answer, thanks for sharing the reviews too.

Tara Tyler said...

so great to read some reviews— I love hearing reader opinions!

Tara Tyler Talks

D.L. Finn said...

Congrats on that upcoming release! I am in to spread the word :) I lean toward both but original will win. Great reviews! I see my next read. Xo

Damyanti Biswas said...

Congratulations on your new book! Great reviews. I'm currently busy writing my sequel. I wish I had more time, Haha.

Susan Gourley/Kelley said...

Thanks for all the book recommendations. I love finding new authors.

My name is Erika. said...

Elizabeth asked me to pass on this info: Bleubeard and Elizabeth are still unable to access her computer but want you to know they are not avoiding you and will visit once they are back online.

Sally Cronin said...

Thanks very much for sharing your review on your blog too Sandra and I am in wonderful company.. and some new authors so thanks for that too.. ♥

Sandra Cox said...

Adam, Agreed.
Thanks, Christine AND you are most welcome.
Tara, Glad you enjoyed them:)
Thanks, Denise! Much appreciated;)
Thanks, Damy. Good luck with the sequel.
Susan, You bet!
Thanks for letting me know, Erika.
You are most welcome. I always enjoy your writing, Sally.

Birgit said...

Congrats on your new book and I would be glad to help out and this time, I will make sure it is right!! You have been busy reading and the one with the fairies sounds neat.if I write, I write what interests me.

Sandra Cox said...

Thanks, Birgit. Appreciate ya. I'll be in touch.

jbiggar said...

A new book from one of my favorite authors- count me in! Congrats, Sandra, I'm happy for you.
Thank you for the wonderful review, you made my day :)
I see a few I've read and a couple to add to my TBR list when it's not looking, lol

Sandra Cox said...

Jacquie,
Yay. Thanks for offering to help me get the word out.
My pleasure on the review. Your writing rocks;)
When your TBR isn't looking. Heh.

Elizabeth Seckman said...

Thank you for such a sweet review!

D. Wallace Peach said...

I made it, Sandra! Thanks so much for sharing the review of Oathbreaker's Guild, and adding to the list of other wonderful books. I really enjoyed Jacquie's book too. The sisters' relationship kept me glued to the pages. Thanks for beefing up my kindle too. Oh my! Lol. Happy Reading.