Wednesday, September 6, 2023

IWSG Anniversary

 


The first Wednesday of every month is officially IWSG day. IWSG was formed by Ninja Captain Alex Cavanaugh. Members post about their doubts and fears, discuss struggles and triumphs, and offer words of encouragement to others who are struggling.

 Twitter handle: @TheIWSG  

Hashtag: #IWSG.

The awesome co-hosts for the September 6 posting of the IWSG are Sonia Dogra, J Lenni Dorner, Pat Garcia, Sarah - The Faux Fountain Pen, and Meka James!

 


Every month, we announce a question that members can answer in their IWSG post. These questions may prompt you to share advice, insight, a personal experience or story. Include your answer to the question in your IWSG post or let it inspire your post if you are struggling with something to say. 

HAPPY TWELTH BIRTHDAY INSECURE WRITER'S SUPPORT GROUP!!!
Celebrate with us. Answer this month's question. 
🎈✨🎉🎊🎁🎂🍰


Remember, the question is optional!

September 6 question: The IWSG celebrates 12 years today! When did you discover the IWSG, how do you connect, and how has it helped you?
Every month, we announce a question that members can answer in their IWSG post. These questions may prompt you to share advice, insight, a personal experience or story. Include your answer to the question in your IWSG post or let it inspire your post if you are struggling with something to say. 

I honestly don’t remember when I signed up or what brought IWSG to my attention. Let’s say it’s because of my longstanding membership not my poor memory. Hehe.

IWSG has helped me in so many ways. First and foremost, good writer buds that have remained friends for a number of years now. I’ve also found it a wonderful resource for almost any question a writer will have.

Are you a member? If not, please feel free to join us.

 

August/September Reviews in no particular order.

 

IN DARKNESS: THE WEREWOLF by L. Diane Wolfe

This is the third of Ms. Wolfe’s IN DARKNESS series and I found it just as enjoyable as the first two. In fact, I had problems putting it down. Vicki has come to England to attend a prestigious fencing school.  She avoids contact with most people, embarrassed about a disfiguring birthmark on her face. She soon meets Nicholas. A shy, handsome young man that she falls for. And to her amazement the feelings are returned. Then one evening during a full moon, she discovers her disfigurement pales in comparison to his problems.

This story kept me reading to the end and is an HEA. Recommended for those who enjoy sweet paranormal romance. Release date: September 5.

Available at Amazon

 

REMY’S DILEMMA by Sherri Hollister

This is the fifth book in the Harrell Chronicles and lives up to the expectations built by the previous four.

Remington Harrell is the eldest sib of the Harrell clan and feels responsible for everything and everyone. Sothy is a woman with a secret trying to hide from her past.

The plant Remy is running is under cyber attack and he needs the best to counter the threat. Little does he know that would be the woman he’s dating, and she has no intention of telling him.

Danger builds and suspense mounts in this well-developed tale that’s a must read for those who love a steamy romantic suspense.

Available at Amazon

 

 



FUSION by Balroop Singh

With her inimitable style, Ms. Singh has once again created verse that speaks to the beauty and the struggle of the inner spirit, and of nature.

Of the inner spirit:

“Alone, I stand here

Looking at the horizon

Waiting for you to

Come back.”

AND…

“Your success is my joy,

Your happiness-my pride.”

 

Of nature:

“Snowclad mountaintops

Kiss capricious clouds.

Emerald lake watches,

As rosy hues of dawn smile.”

 

The fact that she loves natures shines through in nearly everything she writes.

It would be hard to nail down a favorite, but one of the poems that I particularly enjoyed was My Muse. That one definitely resonated😊

“Solitude is her favorite isle.

She lives in her own world.”

 

What I love about poetry is that the writing is usually siphoned through the author’s heart, giving us a glimpse of the person who is writing the verse. FUSION is no exception.

For those that find poetry calming and enjoy the read, I suggest you try this one. I’ve never read anything by Ms. Singh I didn’t enjoy. She’s one of my go-to poets.

Highly recommended for all poetry lovers. 

Available at Amazon

 

TRADS

 

THE GODWULF MANUSCRIPTS by Robert Parker

Spencer, a private eye, finds himself in a dangerous situation when he is hired to find a rare manuscript that’s been stolen.

I liked Parker's Jesse Stone series, so I tried Spencer and I'm enjoying it too. He's created another protagonist that is intriguing and smile worthy:)

Available at Amazon

 

GOD SAVE THE CHILD by Robert Parker

This is the second in the Spencer series about a young teenager that disappears and Spencer is hired to find him. I didn’t connect with this one like I did the first one. We’ll see how the third one goes.

 

 

MISSING PERSONS by Michael Brandman

This is the first in the Buddy Steel series. I read this after reading Brandman's Jesse Stone books.  I enjoyed it and plan to continue the series. It's reminiscent of the Jesse Stone stories. Lawman leaves big city for smaller town law enforcement. It also has the same fun banter found in the Stone series.

It's an easy read and I liked that too.

Recommended.

Available at Amazon

 

ONE ON ONE by Michael Brandman

This is the second in the Buddy Steel series.

A brutal murder at the local high school uncovers an insidious crime.

As previously mentioned, this series is very reminiscent of the Jesse Stone series, except where Jesse was fired for drinking from a big city police force, Buddy has been asked to leave the LA police department by his father the Sheriff of Freedom—who has developed ALS—and come home and help him on the police force.

I thoroughly enjoyed this read and am looking forward to number three.

 

THE SUMMERHOUSE by James Patterson

Major Jeremiah Cook is sent to a small town in Georgia to investigate a mass murder supposedly committed by four Army Rangers. Everything points in their direction, including the fact that they’ve pleaded guilty. But not all is as it seems and Cook is determined to get to the bottom of it, in spite of a sheriff and town that are standing in his way.

I found this book riveting. A must for thriller lovers.

Available at Amazon 

 

 

 

 

COUNTDOWN by James Patterson and Brendan DuBois

Amy Cornwall has five days to save the world and to make matters worse she’s been smoked by the CIA.

Though well written, this wasn’t one of my favorites. There were too many POVs for me and I didn’t care for the ending.

Available at Amazon

 

 

 

 

 

THE PRESIDENT IS MISSING by James Patterson and Bill Clinton

The president has gone missing and if people knew the reason why, the world would be reeling.

I admit to being curious about this one because of Bill Clinton being a co-author. It definitely didn’t disappoint. The book opens with plenty of tension and only ratchets up as the story continues. The politicians could have stepped out of today’s play book. The story line is completely believable and unfortunately could happen all to easily in our country and across the world. Highly recommended. 

Available at Amazon 

 

 

 

*Unless the books are KDP Select they are probably available at your favorite distributor.

 


 

29 comments:

Elephant's Child said...

I am a reader rather than a writer - and am blown away by the talent of the ISWG.

Bleubeard and Elizabeth said...

I always love your reviews. I have read a few of the Spencer mysteries and I like them as much as the Jesse Stone ones.

I have a bit of trouble with James Patterson. It seems the man's name sells the books, but the real author barely gets a by line. At least, that's how I perceive it. The one with Bill Clinton having equal status on the cover either shows respect OR Clinton actually helped write the book in conjunction with Patterson.

Natalie Aguirre said...

I can't remember when I joined either, but I so appreciate all the supportive friends I met through this group. Thanks for the book recommendations. If you like James Patterson, you might enjoy his women's murder club series. I just read the latest in the series in a few days. It was really good.

Alex J. Cavanaugh said...

We're glad you joined the team! And always impressive to see how many books you're written.

Sarah Foster said...

I can't remember how exactly I stumbled upon the IWSG over ten years ago, but I'm so glad that I did!

R's Rue said...

Happy Birthdqy

Sandra Cox said...

EC, We're all thrilled you're a reader, my friend. And yes, many amazing folks in the group.
Elizabeth, That's a good point about the byline, though I imagine just being linked with Patterson helps them. And I imagine the way his book sells that their royalties aren't too shabby. Though, probably not as good as his. Hehe.
Natalie, Thanks for the recommendation on the Murder Club. I'm going to have to try that series.I loved his YAs. I've ordered the one he co-wrote with Dolly. That intrigued me too:)
Thanks, Alex.Thanks for forming it;)
Sarah, I can't either and I am too:) Thanks for stopping by.
Thanks, Rue.

Hilary Melton-Butcher said...

Hi Sandra - I know I've been around a while ... as a blogger and A-Zer to start with - before I thought I'd benefit from joining the IWSG group and eventually WEP. I'm just very happy being a part of the various communities ... and just blogging. Thanks for the thumbs up for the various books you've noted - I like the sound of Balroop's poems ... so I'll check that out - cheers Hilary

Computer Tutor said...

You sure read a lot! And most of them, I'd also read. Thanks for the recommendations. I've read all the Spencer ones and watched the Netflix (I think) movies. They're good.

L. Diane Wolfe said...

I'm so pleased you enjoyed The Werewolf!

Nick Wilford said...

You're never alone as a writer when there is the IWSG. Thanks for the reviews. Diane's books look great!

Kinga K. said...

The first one sounds interesting :D

Balroop Singh said...

You write compelling reviews Sandra. Thank you for your lovely review of Fusion, much appreciated.

D.L. Finn said...

Happy 12th anniversary! You have bern doing some great reading, Sandra! I agree about Fusion and never disappointed with anything Balroop writes. Xo

Michelle Wallace said...

Fusion sounds like a wonderful book!
The IWSG has such a solid sense of community, which is hard to find in online groups.
Happy IWSG Anniversary Day!

cleemckenzie said...

You've been reading a bit, I see! Thanks for all the books, Sandra.

Here's to many more years with IWSG!

J.Q. Rose said...

I think we met thru IWSG and so glad we did, cuz.

Susan Gourley/Kelley said...

Wow, so many great books. Thanks for the recommends.

Sandra Cox said...

Hils, I'm very glad you're a member. I'm sure Balroop will be thrilled that you are checking out her wonderful book of poems.
Balroop, It was entirely my reading pleasure:)
Di, Loved it.
Nick, That's for sure. Di has written an intriguing series.
Kinga, I thoroughly enjoyed it.
Jacqui, I'm going to have to try the Spencer Netflix series.

Jen said...

There is so much support in this group and I'm blown away by it each month. I'm also very thankful I found my way here so many years ago.

Fundy Blue said...

Hi, Sandra! When I was searching for material for my post today, I remember your icon showing up early on. Over the years you've been a source of encouragement for me, and a source of some great reads! I loved your "Mateo's Law," and I'm looking forward to reading Diane's werewolf book. You always share such interesting book reviews. I enjoyed the Patterson/Clinton collaboration. It was an exciting and fun read. Here's to many more years of friendship, help, and encouragement in the IWSG! xox

Lee said...

I visited our local bookshop the other day..."Under the Greenwood Tree"...great name for a bookshop. I didn't want to leave....oh...what a wonderful bookstore it is filled with temptations!

Sandra Cox said...

HI Michelle, Fusion is great. I think you'd enjoy it and yes IWSG does have a great sense of community, doesn't it?

J.P. Alexander said...

Feliz aniversario. Gracias por las reseñas. Te mando un beso.

J Lenni Dorner said...

What an incredible list of books! Great way to celebrate by suggesting some reads.
The IWSG is celebrating 12 years today, which is so amazing for a blogging community of writers. A dozen years of support! 🎉
"The only thing you absolutely have to know is the location of the library." – Albert Einstein quote
September is library card sign-up month! Get one, use one, and be grateful such places exist.

J Lenni Dorner (he/him 👨🏽 or 🧑🏽 they/them) ~ Speculative Fiction &Reference Author, OperationAwesome6 Debut Author Interviewer, and Co-host of the #AtoZchallenge

Sandra Cox said...

Lee, Clicking the champagne glasses:)
Ditto, Cuz.
Susan, Thank you. Entirely my reading pleasure:)
Jen, Completely agree. FYI. I tried to comment at your blog, but I'm not sure it went through.
Louise, How kind you are. I'm thrilled we had an opportunity to get to know one another. Agreed on Patterson/Clinton. It was a great read.

Birgit said...

I'm just so happy to have found you either through here or the A to Z challenge. You have read a lot of books!the first one peaks my interest as well as the serial killer one. Every time I see or hear about Bill Clinton the song, " Devil with a blue dress on" pops into my head. I actually liked him as president. I wouldn't want to be married to him but he was a good president.

Sandra Cox said...

Lee, You can't beat a good bookstore and I love the name.
Thanks, J.P. Sending you hugs.
I'm pleased and happy to have found you too, Birgit. Yes and Yes on Clinton:)

Heidi Angell said...

I second meeting so many fantastic writers in this group!