Wednesday, November 1, 2023

IWSG Wednesday

 

The first Wednesday of every month is officially IWSG day. IWSG was formed by Ninja Captain Alex Cavanaugh. Members post about their doubts and fears, discuss struggles and triumphs, and offer words of encouragement to others who are struggling.

 

Twitter handle: @TheIWSG  

Hashtag: #IWSG

 

The awesome co-hosts for the November 1 posting of the IWSG are PJ Colando, Jean Davis, Lisa Buie Collard, and Diedre Knight!

Every month, we announce a question that members can answer in their IWSG post. These questions may prompt you to share advice, insight, a personal experience or story. Include your answer to the question in your IWSG post or let it inspire your post if you are struggling with something to say. 

Remember, the question is optional!
November 1 question: November is National Novel Writing Month. Have you ever participated? If not, why not?


I think NaNoWriMo is a wonderful idea. I love it. But have I actually participated? No. Though friends and I have challenged each other informally.  I have a word count I strive to reach daily and that works for me. I don't see that changing even if I joined.

 

More writing news -  On Facebook:

AND

 

October/November Reviews in no particular order.

* Disclaimer. If I run into an occasional typo, I ignore them and don't factor them into my review.

 


THE GIFT by Gwen Plano

Shelly is sixteen, pregnant and disowned. Completely alone, she and her baby are taken in by kind strangers.

The Gift is a lovely story of hope, love and kindness. It snagged my interest at page one and held it till the end. Recommended for those that love a good HEA. An excellent second story in the Harbor Pointe Series.

Available at Amazon

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

TRADS

 


SECOND CHANCE ROMANCE by Jill Weatherholt

Big city meets small town. Big city gal, Melanie Harper goes to the small town of Sweet Gum with the expressed intention of moving her aging aunt to the city.  Until that is, she meets her aunt’s business partner Jason Daughtry and his captivating daughter.

This is the first time I’ve read anything by Ms. Weatherholt and found it both entertaining and well-written. She did a wonderful job of world building and creating a homey small-town environment that has the reader stepping right into the story and  sauntering down the street. The characters were also finely-crafted and easy to relate to. One of the central characters: a little girl that tugs at the heart strings. So, grab your cocoa and cookies and kick back with this warm-hearted story.

Recommended for readers of Christian Romance.

Available at Amazon

 

 

RED RISING, GOLDEN SON, MORNING STAR AND IRON GOLD by Pierce Brown

This is my first dive into Mr. Brown’s books and what an adventure it was. This is one of those series that you can’t put down, that keeps you reading late into the night.

These books are science fiction about a caste system in space that a young man is trying to break through after his wife is hanged for a tiny infraction. It’s violent. It takes Hunger Games and ratchets it up several levels. Whatever can go wrong does and I’m not sure if the protagonist will make it to the conclusion of the series. I stopped half way through Iron Gold. I needed a break. I got bogged down in conflicts and setbacks. Then went back to it,  finished it and started on DARK AGE the next in the series😊

 

 

1ST TO DIE by James Patterson

This is the first book in the Women’s Murder Club.

Four professional women, that include an assistant DA, a coroner, a reporter and a homicide inspector join forces to solve a murder.

Since the author is James Patterson it’s a given that it’s well written. The characters are relatable, the settings and surroundings are exceptional, there is lots of tension and suspense to keep the reader turning pages. The down side, the crimes and the villain/s got just a little too twisted for me.

 

THE LONGMIRE DEFENSE by Craig Johnson

Walt finds himself on a cold case that people in power don’t want reopened.

I loved the Netflix Longmire series, so I was anxious to read this book.  Having watched the series I already had an affinity for the characters and even though we started with the last book I didn’t feel like we missed anything.  I’m impressed with Craig Johnson’s writing. Great characters, world building and plot. Now we’re starting back at the beginning and reading Cold Dish😊

Highly recommended.

 


 

21 comments:

Elephant's Child said...

Your routine OBVIOUSLY works for you and you don't need to change it. Happy November.

Lisa said...

I really liked Longmire too!

Alex J. Cavanaugh said...

If you have your own steady pace don't mess it up!

Donna said...

Love Longmire...
Happy week!
hugs
Donna

Natalie Aguirre said...

It sounds like you have a system that works for you. I loved Longmire. I'll have to check out the series. Thanks.

L. Diane Wolfe said...

I've never been able to participate either.

Jeanie said...

Nope. For me, November is insane as it is. Adding that pressure would just be dumb.

Computer Tutor said...

Good reviews, Sandra. I enjoyed THE LONGMIRE DEFENSE much more than the prior book in the series. He seems to have gotten him mojo back.

cleemckenzie said...

I’m a supporter of NaNo for all you want to participate. I just don’t enjoy doing it myself.

Nas said...

Hi Sandra! I like that you have worked out a routine for yourself. And also thanks for your reviews of these books.

Sandra Cox said...

EC, Happy November to you too, my friend.
Lisa, It's great, isn't it?
Alex, I like the way you think:)
Donna, It's awesome isn't it. Hugs received and returned.
Natalie, Agreed. Longmire is one of our all time favorite series.

Bleubeard and Elizabeth said...

It's nice to challenge yourself, but you must do what you need to do each, whether you have the challenge or not.

I loved the Women's Murder Club and I adore the Longmire series that used to be on cable tv. Not heard of the book, though.

Lee said...

It's time for me to pick up a book...and spend the rest of the day with it in my hands... :)

Christine said...

Thanks for sharing.

Sandra Cox said...

Di, I get it.
Jeanie, Doesn't sound like it would work for you then.
Jacqui, I'll try to remember to keep a look out for that one.
Lee, Right there with ya. I stopped by your blog and had problems leaving a comment. Probably on my end.
My pleasure, Nas. Thank you:)

Sandra Cox said...

Elizabeth, Agreed. It's fun to compare the television series and the books. The characters personalities are pretty much spot on but I'm learning more about them through the books.
Lee, Sounds like a good plan.
Christine, You bet. Thanks for stopping by.

J.P. Alexander said...

Gracias por la reseñas. Te mando un beso.

Birgit said...

So glad this works for you and invigorates you. It’s so nice that you showcase these authors.

Sandra Cox said...

Thanks, J.P. Sending you a hug.
Birgit, Thanks. It takes a community to grow an author;)

Ronel Janse van Vuuren said...

The books look interesting!

Ronel visiting for IWSG day Done and Dusted. An Author’s Year in Review 2023

D.L. Finn said...

I have done NaNo three times. I ended up with two drafts and edited one of them during. No energy for it this year. Great reviews, Sandra. You reminded me I have had Second Chances on my reading list for too long. It's my next read now. Xo