Wednesday, February 7, 2024

IWSG Wednesday

 


 The first Wednesday of every month is officially IWSG day. IWSG was formed by Ninja Captain Alex Cavanaugh. Members post about their doubts and fears, discuss struggles and triumphs, and offer words of encouragement to others who are struggling.

 

Twitter handle: @TheIWSG  

Hashtag: #IWSG 

The awesome co-hosts for the February 7 posting of the IWSG are Janet Alcorn, SE White, Victoria Marie Lees, and Cathrina Constantine!

Every month, we announce a question that members can answer in their IWSG post. These questions may prompt you to share advice, insight, a personal experience or story. Include your answer to the question in your IWSG post or let it inspire your post if you are struggling with something to say. 

Remember, the question is optional
February 7 question: What turns you off when visiting an author's website/blog? Lack of information? A drone of negativity? Little mention of author's books? Constant mention of books?

The only thing I’ve run across that bothers me is when they’re awash in negativity. Everyone is entitled to air the discomfort they are going through or talk about the bad day they’ve had with their blogger buds. It’s just a sharing of themselves. But I’ve visited a couple of blogs that each and every post is centered around a grievance. They have nothing positive to say. Those are the blogs that bother me.

 

January/February Reviews in no particular order.

* Disclaimer. If I run into an occasional typo, I ignore them and don't factor them into my review.

 

YOUR LIFE WITH JESUS: How to Spark memories and Write Your Spiritual Memoir by J. Q. Rose

This is the second book in the author’s Life Storytellers Series. In it she gives specific directions for memoir writing including: how to begin the memoir, spark memories and engage readers. The book is divided into two parts: spurring memories and topics for journaling.

This book is geared to the reader who is looking to journal their religious experience and readers who enjoy spiritual memoirs.

Available at Amazon

 

 

 

IN DARKNESS: THE ALIEN by L. Diane Wolfe

The fourth installment of IN DARKNESS is based on an alien, complementing the series of werewolf, vampire, and shark.

Working at a research station, Liz, our protagonist is kidnapped and sold. Bought by Stren for her planetary mining knowledge she is expected to marry her owner. Surprises ensues when she is slated to be chipped and her captor has his removed.

A great round-out for the IN DARKNESS series. 

Available at Amazon

 

 

 

THE EDGE by David Baldacci

Travis Devine is sent to a small town in Maine to find the killer of the CIA operative Jenny Silkwell. But the case takes several twists and turns, and leads to several other murders, and a rape, that were covered up years ago.

I found this story riveting.  Some of Mr. Baldacci’s work I’m lukewarm about and some of it, I really like.  This one fell into the really like category.  Definitely a well-told tale.

Available at Amazon

 

 

 

ANY OTHER NAME by Craig Johnson

This is number 10 in the Longmire series and another winner. Lucian drags Walt into another case that he must solve before rushing to Philadelphia to be present when his granddaughter enters the world.

Available at Amazon

 

DRY BONES by Craig Johnson

Number 11 is another intriguing read. This one deals with dino bones and a loss that strikes close to home.

 

AN OBVIOUS FACT by Craig Johnson

In number 12, in the midst of a huge bike rally, held in Hulett Wyoming we meet Lola. The Lola that Henry Standing Bear’s 59 Thunderbird is named for.

 

THE WESTERN STAR by Craig Johnson

Old memories collide with new in book number 13 as Walt waits for the parole hearing, of a dangerous felon, that he has a personal stake in and remembers his time aboard the Western Star.

 

A FATHOMLESS AFFAIR by Staci Troilo

Ms. Troilo’s firm grasp of her craft shines through in the sixth installment of the Pointe Series. Not only does the author create characters that are relatable and likeable, she creates personalities that we really, really don’t like 😊 And does it well.

Lorelei—and don’t you love that name—Audley is faced with too many crises to count while planning a wedding for her self-absorbed father at the Harbor Pointe Inn. Crises that include the paranormal. Luckily, she has two people squarely in her corner. A young man she just met and her wedding planner. But none of them are prepared for what happens next.

These well-developed characters and the story held my attention all the way through. The author’s pacing was spot on and her world building quite beautiful. A FATHOMLESS AFFAIR is another great addition to the series.

Available at Amazon 

 


 

 

 

 

18 comments:

anakdenesor said...

hello from malaysia

Natalie Aguirre said...

I don't like negativity either. Thanks for sharing your book reviews. I love seeing what you've been reading.

Alex J. Cavanaugh said...

I know several of those authors!
The negative drone is what gets me as well.

Donna said...

I've always liked Baldacci's books. Didn't know about this one. Thanks Sandra!
hugs
Donna

L. Diane Wolfe said...

I'm so happy you enjoyed The Alien!

Christine said...

Thanks for sharing

Susan Gourley/Kelley said...

I don't like the negative either. I haven't started the Longmire series though I'm tempted. Maybe I will.

Jacqui said...

Spot on with your #1 turn off. Me, too. I think that negativity harks back to the days when blogs were journals and people posted cathartically. Not my interest or thing.

Adam said...

Happy Wednesday to you

cleemckenzie said...

I don't understand the negative stuff either. It's not interesting. I'd rather read a well-reasoned opinion.

Jeanie said...

I've never noticed negativity on author sites -- mostly just sales or background on characters, scene, etc. But then, I don't visit a lot of them!

Sandra Cox said...

anakdenesor, I stopped by but wasn't able to leave a message. Sorry.
Thanks, Natalie. What are you reading these days?
Alex, You sure do know several of the authors:)
Donna, I thought it was excellent. Let me know what you think. Hugs received and returned.
Di, I'm happy I had an opportunity to read it:)
Christine, You bet;)
Jacqui, I hadn't thought about that, but you are exactly right. It does hark about to the journaling days.
Lee, Exactly.
Jeanie,That's great that you haven't. It says a lot about the blogs you follow.

Sandra Cox said...

Happy Wednesday, Adam.
Susan, As you can tell, I'm quite enamored of it:)

Truedessa said...

Happy Wednesday - A little venting is okay but, too much negativity is a drain...

Annalisa Crawford said...

I try not to be too negative in my blogs, and if I am, I hope I do it with humour - I spend a lot of my social media time laughing at myself.

Birgit said...

I don't like negativity either. I don't mind, at all, when people do some griping...it's normal. Constant negativity is different and we don't need that in our lives. Congrats to all the authors and you for showcasing them

J.Q. Rose said...

Thank you for sharing my book on how to begin writing a spiritual memoir. Iam a life storytelling advocate! Write those legacy stories for the next generations to discover their roots. And how amazed they will be to discover we lived without video games and air fryers!

D.L. Finn said...

You have been doing some great reading, Sandra. One caught my eye. I agree about Staci's story... a good one! Xo