Wednesday, October 4, 2023

IWSG Wednesday

 


The first Wednesday of every month is officially IWSG day. IWSG was formed by Ninja Captain Alex Cavanaugh. Members post about their doubts and fears, discuss struggles and triumphs, and offer words of encouragement to others who are struggling.

 

Twitter handle: @TheIWSG  

Hashtag: #IWSG

The awesome co-hosts for the October 4 posting of the IWSG are Natalie Aguirre, Kim Lajevardi, Debs Carey, Gwen Gardner, Patricia Josephine, and Rebecca Douglass!

Every month, we announce a question that members can answer in their IWSG post. These questions may prompt you to share advice, insight, a personal experience or story. Include your answer to the question in your IWSG post or let it inspire your post if you are struggling with something to say. 


Remember, the question is optional!

October 4 question: The topic of AI writing has been heavily debated across the world. According to various sources, generative AI will assist writers, not replace them. What are your thoughts?

Now that’s a loaded question. Currently, I find it valuable for research and writing posts, etc. Could it be problematic in the future as far as AI replacing writers or using their works?  We’ll see. I’d say the potential is there, we’ll just have to see how it's handled.

 

Free Writers' Conference Oct 6-8.  Carolina Book and Writer Conference (carolinabwc.com)

AND

September/October Reviews in no particular order.

Occasional typos are not factored into my reviews.

 

THE PRICE OF ATONEMENT by Mae Clair

This is the first book in the Harbor Pointe Series of eight. So, if you enjoy this story as much as I did, you’ll have plenty to look forward to as eight different authors showcase their talents.

Leviticus Sinclair—and don’t you love this name—has committed a heinous crime and spends his time chasing down specters who are lingering on earth in the hopes of absolution when he sometimes sends, sometimes helps, them move to the other side with the aid of a pocket watch.

The one word that summed up this story for me was haunting. Both the storyline and the writing.  With a delicate touch, Ms. Clair delivers grizzly details. i.e., ‘Her eyes had become cavernous black holes, while her flesh mirrored the cobweb-gray of a crypt. The right side of her skull was partially caved in, brain matter tangled in the blood-soaked strands of hair.’ The story is told to a backdrop of a lighthouse, crashing waves and gray skies. Sure to be enjoyed by lovers of ghostly paranormal.

Ms. Clair’s considerable writing skills are on full display in this eerie tale.

Available on Amazon

 

 

SECOND CHANCES by Joe Congel

Brandon Turner has retired from the police department in New York and, with his faithful dog Max, moves to Magnolia Bluffs for some peace and quiet. His plans, buy a place on the lake and catch up on his fishing. Unfortunately, Magnolia Bluffs is becoming littered with murdered bodies. Since he doesn’t have much confidence in the local police solving the murders, Turner finds himself smack dab in the middle of the investigation and in danger to boot. Now he must find the killer before anyone else gets hurt.

In Book 17 of the Magnolia Bluff Crime Chronicles, the author does an amazing job of linking the reader with the characters. Drawing the reader in till he feels he could walk right up to one of the Magnolia Bluffs’ citizens and buy them a cup of coffee.

Max, Turner’s four-legged companion, steals the show. Not only will you be wanting to buy the characters a cup of coffee, you’ll be wanting to give the dog a biscuit. 😊

Told in his inimitable style, this is a must read for Joe Congel fans and mystery lovers alike. If you love the Razzman, as I do, I suggest giving Brandon Turner a go.

Available on Amazon

 

DEEP IN THE FOREST WHERE POETRY BLOOMS by D.L. Finn

Reading D.L Finn’s poetry is like floating on warm waves of water. It’s just that relaxing. Her verse is deeply steeped in nature and her words bring the forest, and/or the ocean, and its inhabitants alive. 

I’m a D. L. Finn fan and love her poetry. In my humble opinion, this is her best collection yet.  Here are some examples of verse that snagged my attention:

‘Spring flowers peek through sunbeams….

Saturating the moment in a captivating bouquet,’

AND

‘Nature’s breath brings life to the world….

Awakening me from my winter’s hibernation

My bare arms absorb the sun—and the moment

Blissfully receiving the gift of spring.’

AND

‘it was that moment

I swam with ancient wisdom

and understood love’

AND

‘stirring sea

caressing my soul

with each wave’

AND

‘youthful vacation

in a timeworn body

my inner child smiles’

These are just a few of the gems in this book. If you love poetry, I think you’ll enjoy the wonderful verse found inside these pages.

Highly recommended.

Available at Amazon 

 

TRADS

 

THE GATEKEEPER by James Byrne

This is a new author for me and a new protagonist. Byrne has developed a truly unique character in Dez Limerick. One that is easy to get invested in quickly. Even though, he’s short, stocky, always smiling, cracking jokes, amateur musician and from the UK he is very reminiscent of Lee Child’s Reacher. A man that rights wrongs.

In this first book of three, he foils a kidnapping and uncovers a dangerous conspiracy. I’m very much looking forward to book two.

This one is highly recommended especially for readers who love thrillers.

 

RUN, ROSE, RUN by James Patterson and Dolly Parton

AnnieLee is both clawing her way up the ladder to country western stardom and at the same time is on the run from a past that could destroy her.

Considering who the authors are I was very an xious to read this book. It was good. Not my favorite Patterson read but good.  Dolly’s voice definitely comes through and there’s also interesting tidbits about the country western industry. Recommended for country western lovers.

 

MORTAL STAKES by Robert Parker

In this, the third in the series, Spencer has been hired to see if a big-league pitcher is throwing the game. And if he is, why?

In this read, we see more than the wisecracking P.I. when he comes face to face with hard decisions and questions his own moral code.

 

10-4, good buddy:)

 

24 comments:

Alex J. Cavanaugh said...

Many today have mentioned work being plagiarized by AI. How does one trace that?

Susan Gourley/Kelley said...

I'm afraid the people developing AI don't know when to stop. It will eventually get smarter than its creators. Perhaps even learn to mimic human emotion.

Elephant's Child said...

AI worries me. We are far too quick to adopt new technology without considering (or even understanding) all of the possibilities.

D.L. Finn said...

AI could be very helpful but it worries me. I avoid it for now. Thanks for sharing your great review, Sandra. Making me smile. I agree about Mae's story too. A good one.Hugs

Joe Congel said...

I am not a fan of AI when it comes to writing. Maybe I’m old school, but I prefer a story written by someone who is passionate about writing and who gives us a story crafted from that passion along with their imagination and talent to tell a story to the best of their ability. Flaws and all. It shouldn’t be about taking the shortcut that AI might provide. I’m sure AI has its place but for me, not within the pages of a novel.

cleemckenzie said...

I’m worried that there’s little to no regulation and AI advancement is at an ever-quickening pace. I guess we’ll all find out the. positives and negatives eventually.

John Howell said...

Good to see, Denise and Mae Clair here. Congratulations to them, and thanks to Sandra.

L. Diane Wolfe said...

No way I could make that conference this weekend. Are you going?

J.Q. Rose said...

Always love your round-up of books. So many genres, characters and even poetry.You rock!

Sandra Cox said...

Denise, I get it about AI. My reading pleasure. Thank you for sharing your talent with the rest of us.
Joe, Agreed.

Natalie Aguirre said...

Glad you're finding AI somewhat useful. Me too. I recommend that you fact-check your research. It's not always accurate.

Sandra Cox said...

Alex, Good question.
Susan, I agree on the AI creators not knowing when to stop.
EC, I get it.
Lee, Yes, regulation or lack thereof is always a problem.
John, How nice of you to stop by and support Denise and Mae.

Mae Clair said...

Many thanks for including your review of The Price of Atonement among your reads, Sandra. I'm delighted you enjoyed it.

And I have to agree with you about Denise's latest poetry book. It was wonderful! I liked what you said about it being like floating on waves of warm water. What a perfect description!

Sandra Cox said...

Di, It's on line, so I'd like to catch some of the sessions. One is on AI.
Hey Cuz, Lots of good reads and talent on the list:) Thanks for stopping by.
Natalie, Good idea. I did ask it if it plagiarized.Heh.
Mae, Your work and Denise's was definitely my reading pleasure;) Glad you liked the description;)

Truedessa said...

AI - frightens me - I don't get a good vibe from it. Always nice to see a poet get published.

Jan Sikes said...

Thank you for sharing your thoughts on these, Sandra. I loved The Price of Atonement, and I agree with your one-word summary. :) Denise's new book of poetry and flash fiction is fantastic. All good stuff. Congrats to the authors!

J.P. Alexander said...

Gracias por las recomendaciones

D.L. Finn said...

Thanks, John, Jan, and Mae :)

Virgilante said...

Wonderful group of authors and reviews.

Jeanie said...

I worry about AI -- less for responsible adults than impressionable teens who find it an easy way out, rather than learning to write well themselves.

Sandra Cox said...

True, The world would be less bright without poets. A big thanks to you and Denise.
Hey Jan, Thanks for stopping by and showing your support to Mae and Denise. I know they appreciate it;)
J.P. My reading pleasure. Hugs,
Virgilante, Lots of talent for sure. Thanks for stopping by.
Jeanie, For sure. There's much discussion in the schools about AI, especially in the English departments including showing students the proper way to use it, since they will be anyway.

Hilary Melton-Butcher said...

Hi Sandra - I'm avoiding AI - though I'm sure I'm not! But I 'watch' from the sidelines ... cheers Hilary

Gwen Plano said...

Wonderful to see Denise and Mae on your beautiful site, Sandra. 😊

Birgit said...

I'm not a fan of AI because it won't stop at a certain point but will continue to be used in a way that may make people use it instead of their brains. Mind you it could only help some like Brittany Spears snd Kim Kardashiass.
Thos books sound interesting especially the ghostly one.