Wednesday, May 1, 2024

IWSG Wednesday and Did You Know

 

 


The first Wednesday of every month is officially IWSG day. IWSG was formed by Ninja Captain Alex Cavanaugh. Members post about their doubts and fears, discuss struggles and triumphs, and offer words of encouragement to others who are struggling.

 

Twitter handle: @TheIWSG  

Hashtag: #IWSG 

The awesome co-hosts for the May 1 posting of the IWSG are Victoria Marie Lees, Kim Lajevardi, Nancy Gideon, and Cathrina Constantine!

Every month, we announce a question that members can answer in their IWSG post. These questions may prompt you to share advice, insight, a personal experience or story. Include your answer to the question in your IWSG post or let it inspire your post if you are struggling with something to say. 

Remember, the question is optional

May 1 question - How do you deal with distractions when you are writing? Do they derail you?

Yup, pretty much derailed. You?

April/May Reviews in no particular order.

* Disclaimer. If I run into an occasional typo, I ignore them and don't factor them into my review.

 

A FESTIVE VERISIMILITUDE by Paul Stanton

A captivating take on Christmas…and the devil

 

This is the second in the Festive Series and I enjoyed it every bit as much as the first.  The author gives a unique perspective on the role of the devil, especially on the days before Christmas as he goes through London and gives people who are on the edge of eternal damnation a chance to change their ways, showing them what awaits them if they don’t.  And in some cases, just spreading magical goodwill. From an old man at Charing Crossing to a good Samaritan at St. Paul’s Cathedral, each narrative holds its own charm.

I found these stories to be well-written with fascinating bits of London’s history sprinkled throughout. Each tale held a hint of dry humor and a dollop of goodwill and hope.

Recommended reading that’s not limited to the Christmas season.

Available at Amazon

 

 

THE SHADOWSPELL ACADEMY: THE CULLING TRIALS, Book 1 by Shannon Mayer and K. F. Breene

Wild, a young woman growing up poor on a ranch, must face the culling trials of a magical school, if she wants to save her family.

A great read for YA fantasy fans. Highly recommended.

THE SHADOWSPELL ACADEMY: THE CULLING TRIALS, Book 2 by Shannon Mayer and K. F. Breene

The culling trials begin and Wild must save not only herself but her group as well, that includes a goblin, a necromancer, and a shapeshifter.

THE SHADOWSPELL ACADEMY: THE CULLING TRIALS, Book 3 by Shannon Mayer and K. F. Breene

In book three, kids are going missing and it’s up to Wild to find them and save them.

THE SHADOWSPELL ACADEMY: YEAR OF THE CHAMELEON, Book 4 by Shannon Mayer and K.F. Breene

The Culling Trials are over, but the danger remains.

THE SHADOWSPELL ACADEMY: YEAR OF THE CHAMELEON, Book 5 by Shannon Mayer and K.F. Breene

The Shadowkiller and Frost, both chameleons, are both after Wild.

THE SHADOWSPELL ACADEMLY: YEAR OF THE CHAMELEON, Book 6 by Shannon Mayer and K.F. Breene

Wild has learned a shocking discovery about the Shadowkiller. Now she must figure out who is friend and who is foe AND save her family, the academy and the students and teachers in it.

Available at Amazon

 

 

MARTIN VAN BUREN     by Ted Widmer

Van Buren was the eighth president of the United States and I knew absolutely nothing about him before this read. He was a professional politician and an architect of today’s Democratic Party. Those two items were my main takeaways. I really would loved to have known more about his wife and family. They were barely mentioned, except for his son John who he had high hopes would someday be president. Oh, and the other take away, the term OK came from Old Kinderhook, Van Buren’s nickname. 

Available at Amazon

 

ZODIAC ACADEMY: Book 4 SHADOW PRINCESS by Caroline Peckman and Susanne Valenti

When the twins, Orion and Darius enter the shadow world they make a stunning discoverDiy.

ZODIAC ACADEMY: Book 5 CURSED FATES by Caroline Peckman and Susanne Valenti

The stars are definitely not aligning for the twins and the men they care about.

I am very torn about this series. The authors have done an amazing job with it. The emotion is raw and elemental. There is conflict aplenty. Great characters. And the action just keeps on coming.  Definitely my kind of read, EXCEPT its erotic and I just don’t do erotic. Just let me say that by the number of reviews they’ve received that plenty of folks do and that’s just fine, it’s just not my thing. So, I find myself flipping through a huge number of pages without reading them. Also, I feel the e’s are priced a bit high. By the time you’ve read the whole series, you’ll have spent some coin. That said, I’m still hooked 😊

Available at Amazon 

 

NEW RELEASES


POETRY TREASURERS 4: IN TOUCH WITH NATURE

WordCrafter Poetry Anthology compiled and edited by Kaye Lynne Booth and Robbie Cheadle

Available at Amazon

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

MOM’S MEMORIES AND REFLECTIONS ON MOTHERHOOD - A guided journal - by J.Q. Rose

Available at Amazon

 

 

 

 

 

AND

Did you know, among many others, the phrase 'in a pickle' came from Shakespeare?

For more information:

List of Phrases Shakespeare Invented (thoughtco.com)

 


 

 

 

26 comments:

Elephant's Child said...

Thanks for the heads up on lots of tempting reads.
I am easily derailed - and if asked where a quote comes will usually start with Shakespeare.

D.L. Finn said...

I definitely distract easily when writing ;) Great book reviews, I will be exploring the Christmas and devil one! Thank you for sharing Poetry Treasures 4 too! Xo

Hilary Melton-Butcher said...

Hi Sandra - if you're not concentrating on your work at hand ... you're in a pickle!! Be it what sort of pickle is another matter!! Cheers Hilary

David M. Gascoigne, said...

Poetry Treasures 4: In Touch with Nature sounds exceptionally appealing. I will look for this one. I did not know the origin of “in a pickle” but like Elephant’s Child I would have guessed at Shakespeare. So many of the bard’s phrases have become part of the common vernacular.

Alex J. Cavanaugh said...

They had pickles back then?

Natalie Aguirre said...

I live alone now so there are less distractions. The Shadowspell Academy sounds interesting.

Jamie Ghione said...

I did not know "in a pickle" is from Shakespeare, but am not surprised to learn that. So many phrases came from the Bard.

CJ Kennedy said...

Me thinks a lot of our phrases came from The Bard

Birgit said...

I did not know that saying came from Shakespeare but I did not know this one did. These books..they all sound interesting except the Van Buren but that’s just a personal taste:)

Fundy Blue said...

"Yup, pretty much derailed." LOL! This struck me as very funny, because I can so relate to it! We owe Shakespeare a great deal. Enjoy IWSG Day, Sandra!

Sandra Cox said...

EC, Lots of good reads to choose from, for sure. Shakespeare has played an amazing role on our language today, hasn't he?
Excellent, Denise. Let me know what you think about it. I was actually thinking when i read it, that you might like it.
Good one, Hils;)
David, I have my copy and will soon be diving in. Let us know what you think.

Computer Tutor said...

You are the best, Sandra. The pithiest answer yet!

Señorida Anastasia said...

Very straightforward answer. I didn't know that 'in a pickle'was actually Shakespeare. Thanks for the new fact!

Christine said...

Distraction is a thing.

Sandra Cox said...

Alex, Yup. They've been around almost as long as the apple. Heh.
Natalie, I thought Shadowspell was great. Let me know what you think, if you try it.
Jamie, I am in awe at all the phrases he left us.
Birgit, I hate to say it, but Van Buren didn't hold my interest either.
Louise, We do owe Shakespeare a great deal, don't we. Thank you for the good wishes and right back at ya:)

Sandra Cox said...

Jacqui, Pithy. I like that:)

Jeanie said...

I don't write for a living anymore but when I did, I could deal with distraction and chaos pretty well. Now that I write for fun -- it's a lot easier for another shiny bauble to attract me!

Citu said...

Gracias por la reseñas. No lo sabía. Te mando un beso

Sandra Cox said...

Senorida Anastasia, You bet;)
Christine, It is for sure.
Jeanie, Heh. Got to watch out for the shiny baubles:)
Thanks, J.P. Sending you a hug.

cleemckenzie said...

Always interesting to see the new publications! Thanks as always,Sandra.

https://substack.com/@cleemckenzie

Ronel Janse van Vuuren said...

I read the Shadowspell Academy books for my A-Z last month and enjoyed them, too :-)

Ronel visiting for IWSG day Adventures in Audio: An Introduction to Audio Production

Donna said...

Thanks for all the interesting reads! Some sound really good!
Happy weekend!
hugs
Donna

Sandra Cox said...

My pleasure. Thanks so much for stopping by, Lee.
Hey Ronel, I tried to leave a message at your place but was unable. It was a great post by the way.

J.Q. Rose said...

Thanks so much for mentioning my new release, Mom's Memories! I love those tidbits about the origin of the sayings. I am always amazed by so many book reviews. The London story with the devil is drawing me in.

Sandra Cox said...

You are most welcome, Cuz. I really enjoyed Festive. Let me know what you think, if you give it a spin.

Sandra Cox said...

CJ, And you would be right;)
Donna, You are most welcome. And yes, some great reads:) Hugs received and returned.