Friday, May 31, 2024

Your Weekend Read: HOW TO MURDER A DUKE

 

Harry’s honor is tested when Winnie becomes the target for a murderer. Will he choose love or duty?

Blurb:

Winnie Applegate becomes the target of a killer when she investigates who is killing the dukes of Applegate.

Facing many changes and heartaches, Winnie throws herself into learning who is trying to kill her cousin. Using the skills she honed as a performer and caregiver with her family’s wild west traveling show, Winnie combines science, moxie and her incomparable abilities to unmask the person behind the attacks on her family.

Romance is in the air as well as danger. One couple will be reunited while another is ripped apart.

Who is killing the dukes of Applegate? Can Winnie and Harry uncover the truth before it’s too late? 

Dedication:

This book is dedicated to the girls who grew up playing in the dirt and dreamed of adventures, 

who rode motorcycles and horses, and struggled to define the word lady.

 

Author



My favorite food is fried chicken. I also love a grilled chicken salad with ginger and soy vinaigrette. I love ginger candy and pickled ginger, and bread and butter pickles. Two of my favorite fruits are pineapples and avocados, both of which I didn’t taste fresh until I was grown. I had of course tasted canned pineapple which is nothing like fresh. When my middle son was sick with chicken pox, I had my first taste of fresh pineapple. With his brothers away at Lion’s Club Bingo with their father and grandparents, I entertained my son with movies and foods only he and I liked. One of which was pineapple. Together we ate that whole pineapple that night. I had blisters in my mouth from the citrus, but it was worth it. I’d never had anything that tasted so good.     

We have an onion farm close to where I live and in my upcoming story, How to Murder a Duke, Winnie makes the duke onion and mushroom soup.

Onion and mushroom soup

1-large sweet onion

1 beef bouillon cube

1 tablespoon of butter

¼ cup chopped mushrooms

Shredded parmesan cheese

Wrap in foil.

Bake in oven or on grill 350 degrees until onion is almost liquid.

If you are making it on the stove, I use a small pot, chop up my onions and mushrooms and sauté them in butter until the onions are sweating and soft. Add in bouillon cube and a little water as needed to dilute the bouillon. Top with a little shredded parmesan cheese and serve with a hunk of French bread.

 

Tin foil was invented in 1910, just a few years too late for Winnie to use in my Applegate Mystery Series. 

 

 


S L Hollister 

Romance, Suspense and Mystery 

with a quirky cast of family and friends 

set in small towns where everyone knows your business sometimes before you do.

https://sherrilhollister.com/

 

Buy Link: https://books2read.com/How-to-Murder-a-Duke

 

AND



 



20 comments:

Elephant's Child said...

That sounds like a fun series - and fresh pineapple is DELICIOUS.

David M. Gascoigne, said...

Avocado I would fight an army for, but pineapple is not even close to being enjoyable! In Cuba recently fresh pineapple was available daily and I never touched it once!

L. Diane Wolfe said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
L. Diane Wolfe said...

Oh my goodness, I know that author well! (And I formatted this book and its prequel.) Go, Sherri!

Christine said...

Sounds good

Donna said...

The book sounds great! I love a good mystery.
My favorite food is Also fried chicken! That's why I'm on a diet...lolol
Happy weekend!
hugs
Donna

D. Wallace Peach said...

Sounds like a great read and a great recipe, Sandra. I like anything with mushrooms, yum, and a little murderous read is a nice side dish. :-) Thanks for both!

Valerie-Jael said...

Thissounds like another great book! Happy weekend, hugs, Valerie

Sherri Hollister said...

Thanks Sandra for hosting me and Winnie today! And thank you guys for your hospitality. Now I am hungry. Have a great weekend!

Sandra Cox said...

EC, Yes and yes:)
David, Avocado is alright. But give me a pineapple any day:) And, as you probably know, it's a symbol of welcome.
Di, Yay! It's a small writer's world, isn't it?
Christine, It is for sure:)
Donna, It is a great book and a great mystery. We are always on a diet aren't we?;)

Jeanie said...

Three cheers, Sherry, and congratulations, birthday girls!

Sandra Cox said...

It is a grand read, Diana. Love: murderous read is a nice side dish:) Well said.
It's an excellent read, Val. I thoroughly enjoyed it.
Entirely my pleasure, Sherri. Loved the book.
Jeanie, Thanks for everyones best wishes. Much appreciated, I'm sure.

Citu said...

Feliz cumpleaños a Birgit y tomo nota de libro. Te deseo un buen fin de semana. Te mando un beso.

Sandra Cox said...

Sending you hugs, J.P.

Lowcarb team member said...

Stopping by to say have a happy weekend :)

All the best Jan

PS ... and a happy new month of June

Kinga K. said...

Nice recipe :D

Sandra Cox said...

Thanks, Jan. And a happy June to you.
Kinga, Glad you like it.

Susan Kane said...

This sounds like a great read.

Computer Tutor said...

Lots on this post, Sandra. Hope your weekend was excellent.

Sandra Cox said...

Susan, It is a great read, for sure. As always, thanks for stopping by.
Jacqui, Hope yours was too. As always, I'm glad you stopped by.