Thursday, January 3, 2013

Classic Reads

What makes a classic? Dictionary.com defines it as:
'Of the first or highest quality,class or  rank: a classic piece of work.'
My definition of a classic...a book that speaks to my mind and heart, and is timeless. Classics for me from my youth include: Little Women, Call of The Wild, and White Fang. From adulthood: Gone With The Wind, The Virginian and Sea Biscuit.
I'm not sure, I'd nudge them into the classic category just yet, but the Twilight and Hunger Games Series were favorites of mine. I know they weren't everyone's cup of tea. But I think both authors are amazing story-tellers. And speaking of the Twilight Series, I'm going to get off track here a bit. I once heard a YA agent diss the series. I wouldn't have thought anything about it, as previously mentioned, its not everyone's cup of tea, if she hadn't said she'd never read it. Hmm.
Anyhoo. Enough about my favorites. What are yours?
http://bit.ly/CR2013

9 comments:

CJ Kennedy said...

Not sure Diana Gabaldon's Outlander series could be called a classic, but she sure has me hooked and waiting for the next installment sometime this year

greg said...

Just from your list I think you've got the nugget of the other part of a classic. Seems to also be touched on on other sites in this tour - that the book must have "legs". Not only do you love it now, but you have to still love it in 20 years.

Sandra Cox said...

CJ, Its a popular series and its been around awhile. Thanks for stopping by.

Greg, agreed. Thanks for stopping by.

cindy said...

I loved those series too and think they will become classics over time.

Terri Giuliano Long said...

Thank you so much for taking part, Sandra! Little Women came up as a classic on yesterday's BlogTalkRadio show too. You have some great books on your list!

My best,
Terri

Jeri said...

Part of what makes a book a classic for me is that each new reading offers new insights. If a book is merely for entertainment, it doesn't invite multiple interpretations. Books with layers are my favorite. Surface story is great, but give me depth!

David M. Brown said...

Great post Sandra.

I read The Call of the Wild & White Fang in recent years and loved them both :) Wish I'd discovered them in my childhood though.

Unknown said...

I love it when people have an opinion regarding something they haven't read, seen, etc. I haven't read any Twilight because it doesn't appeal to me, so I can't give an honest opinion. I try to reserved judgment until I know what I'm talking about! Nice graphics and howdy. New follower,
Java With Jambor

Unknown said...

alice in wonderland, hitchhikers guide to the galaxy, pride and prejudice and much ado about nothing
kaholgate at ymail dot com