Thursday, January 31, 2013

Contagion

I first had it when I was a child. I was unable to shake it in my teens and it stayed with me into adulthood. It interfered with my school work, sleep, social activities and my responsibilities in the home. When I started seriously writing, like a slumbering giant, it lay dormant. Now it's back with a vengeance. I have every fear it's terminal. Yes, I have a contagion that is prevalent among the writing community. Though, as readers can attest, you don't have to be a writer to catch it. I've succumbed to the dreaded bookwormitis.
Hm, writing and reading, they go hand in hand. Should be a good thing, right? No. Sob. Not when you're reading and supposed to be writing.
I don't want to stamp it out, just contain it. You know, set the book down after breakfast and blog, write, do the laundry, clean the house, not just keep reading.  Do you think there's a reader tranq out there that takes the edge off, lets you walk away and come back later?
I know everyone who stops by here, no doubt, has the same contagion. How do contain your voracious appetite for books?

6 comments:

Shelley Munro said...

With difficulty! I try to put my writing first since that earns me money :)

The Happy Whisk said...

I don't have this contagion, thankfully. And with any luck, you'll get back to writing when you REALLY want to get back at it.

Good luck.

Julia Rachel Barrett said...

I don't know. I'm on a reading jag right now. When I'm writing I don't read so I tend to play catch up between WIPs. Seems to recharge my batteries.

Sandra Cox said...

Good point, Shelley.

Sandra Cox said...

Thanks, Happy Wisk. Did you whip up something delightful today?

Sandra Cox said...

Julia, What are you reading?