Thursday, December 29, 2011

Christmas Road Trip


Greetings, how is everyone? Did you have a wondrous Christmas?
The week before Christmas we headed for Southern Illinois and stayed in Metropolis, Superman's hometown. Unfortunately, other than statues there were no Superman sitings.
We stayed at Harrah's, where I lost ten dollars to the slot machines and ate at the buffet, courtesy of my aunt and uncle. Have you ever ate at Harrah's? OMG. They have huge buffets. All the meats and fish carnivores could want and plenty of veggies and salads for vegetarians. And all kinds of of desserts for those of us cursed with a sweet tooth. For some reason, this past summer I developed a craving for ice cream, which I indulged while we were there. The waiters scoop your ice cream and you do your own toppings. I swear they used eight oz ladles for the toppings. So I had some creamy vanilla ice cream with my hot fudge, which I managed to get halfway through before getting slightly sick.
This was the first time all the sibs have been together for a number of years. My bro from central IL told me he couldn't take off work to hook up with us, but called several times 'from work' while we were traveling. So imagine my surprise when I arrived at my aunt and uncle's to see him and his significant other setting on their couch. He'd been calling from his car:)
I've attached some pics that include some of the fam, Sandy my aunt and uncle's wonderful rescue dog, and a pic of the Smokies, and of course, that man of steel--Superman. I can't help wondering what he'd think of America today with his motto of 'Truth, Justice, and the American Way.'

3 comments:

Julia Rachel Barrett said...

Sweet! I'm so glad you had a great time. Happy New Year, Sandra.

Sandra Cox said...

And to you, my good friend.

Molly Daniels said...

ACK! If I'd known you were that close, I'd have made some sort of arrangement to meet you and get my books signed!!!!

Glad you had a great time!